Lake Erie catfish - good bank fishing spots?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by NWOhioCatMan, Apr 13, 2006.

1. NWOhioCatMan

NWOhioCatMan New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was just curious if anyone knew how to fish off the bank from lake erie for cats. If any one knows any spots that are good or baits or riggs to use. I have never fished it from shore before in my life so don't really have much knowledge. Wer are havin a family get together somewhere up there on the lake and i need some help!. thanks guys.

2. Hookman

Hookman New Member

State:
    dELYRIAs ohio
    the city of lorain has a lot of places to fish from the bank or peirs. also on the mouth of the black river....hookman....

3. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I caught a couple nice channels on dough bait up in marblehead at a cottage we had rented. This was about 5 years ago. I would probably try one of the piers as well.

4. NWOhioCatMan

NWOhioCatMan New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for all your input. I will definetly try those spots.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We always make at least one trip up there to walleye fish and I do some catfishing at night. I fished off the piers at marblehead and caught some nice channels using chicken livers and punch baits. But last summer we stayed on kelly's island and i fished the southestern corner from bank. There is a small ledge that runs there and the flats were stacked! I caught 12 flats in a couple hours. Biggest one was about 11 pounds. I was using small bluegill for bait. Good time! My advice though is just to ask at local bait shops. They know best and will usually steer you in the right direction. My other suggestion is to charter out and catch some 'eyes!

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I just read in the outdoor news that bank fishing near the mouths rivers running into lake erie is great for channels right now up to 30 inches.

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    huron pier is a good spot,it goes out there a long ways. a good rig is a crappie rig with a worm on bottum and a minnow on top.

8. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Anywhere in the Sandusky bay area is good for cats. The water is shallow
    and shrimp or liver is a good start for bait. Be sure to check the fish advisory for lake Erie...the last I checked you are not to eat any cat over
    16 inches.

9. dandaman

dandaman New Member

State:
    columbus, ohio
    Port Clinton has some good spots where the portage river comes in.

10. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Port Clinton area has alot of good spots im not sure if you can still fish there or not but the below the draw bridge has always been one o my favorite spots , and the pier the runs out into the lake at fishermans warf is a good place, and the boating traffic doesnt seem to bother the fish in that channel either...... Good luck and have fun ......

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Port clinton the jet express dock (pier one )been fishing there ever since i could hold a pole. the tide comes in so do the cats. (worms , nightcrawlers, chichen liver, crawdads, whatever.) fishing almost GREAT evertime!!!!!!!!!

12. BlueZeus

BlueZeus New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hookman is correct. The piers offer good Channle catfish. If you travel to the location where the Black River meets the Lake you should do well. I've been using Night Crawlers and fishing on the bottom this has provided me with a couple of 3lb channles. However a fellow fisherman caught an 11.5 lb one on Sat night that was 28 inches long. I just wish it would have been on my line. Any way take care and good luck.

:smile:

13. Mike ultra 2004

Mike ultra 2004 New Member

Name:
    Mike
    I live in marblehead. There are some really good areas to fish from the bank. All the public dock areas are really good to fish from. The bay is the best. Big channels and a few flatheads. Have caught many fish above ten this year. Biggest was 23 pounds. I fish with many different baits but night crawlers are pretty good hear. Shrimp is another. Hope this was helpful. Good luck.

twaskom likes this.
  14. bullfish

bullfish Member

State:
    dunkirk ohio
    sandusky bay at the old bridge great for cats

dustin06MR likes this.
  15. green_neo

green_neo Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Chuck
    Dempsey boat ramp has fishing access. Shrimp, cut bait.
    2498 Cook Dock, Lakeside Marblehead, OH 43440
    Enjoy

16. dustin06MR

dustin06MR Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you have not fished Sandusky Bay for Channel cats, you're missing out. It can be constant action until you get tired if you're good with the channel bite. There's also some hogs in there. I recommend fishing any of the fishing piers with one pole with cut bait for larger channels and one with shrimp. Have a large supply of shrimp because the action gets intense when the sun sets!

Catpaw likes this.
  17. dustin06MR

dustin06MR Member

State:
    Ohio
    IMG_20170619_213218284.jpg

Toneyd and Catpaw like this.
  18. dustin06MR

dustin06MR Member

State:
    Ohio
    My biggest yet this season. It's been a tough one but is Sandusky bay right there.

Catpaw likes this.