Lake Elkhorn (and some misc questions)

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Spongiform, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    A buddy and I are planning a weekend get-away in the George Washington National Forest in Virginia. We'll be camped out somewhere within walking distance of Lake Elkhorn. It's stocked with Channel Cat, Rainbow Trout and Largemouth Bass. The plan is for each of us to have a catfish pole and a trout/bass pole running at the same time. Ideally we'll be having a fish feast all weekend.

Has anybody here ever fished there before? If so any tips/tricks/other things we should know ahead of time? (we will be properly licensed!).

I've never cooked fish over a campfire before, although I have done plenty of campfire cooking and I've cooked plenty of fish at home - I've just never done both. So any recipe suggestions? (for catfish, trout or bass).

Also - does anybody have any idea what percentage of a fish is edible fillet? If you have a 3 lb channel cat - how much fillet should you expect?

Thanks in advance for any answers! :D

~
    Spongiform

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    No advice but good luck! Good to see you posting. Haven't seen you around forever...May just be me?:confused2::wink::smile2: Anyways, good to have you back!:big_smile:

3. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's been awhile since I had anything to post :D

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Channel catfish are mostly head, but there are some great fillets on either side. From the last three-and-a-half pounder that I caught, I had a good single serving of around a pound of good meat.

Good luck in your fishing (ad)venture!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I never have anything to post either. I don't post much anymore. I still do a lot of reading but thats about it. Good Luck out there!:big_smile: