Lake Elizabeth - Finally got out

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Jan 26, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Man, I was going nuts sitting here in this house day after day minding the grand-kids. But My daughter and son in law got back from Hawaii yesterday and I got out to lake Elizabeth today for a while.
    The weather was nice when I got there around noon. It was a little on the cool side and breezy but not as bad as I've seen it there. I was OK in my long sleeve T-shirt most of the afternoon. Like I said, nice. Anyway there were a good number of other anglers at the lake today, almost crowded.
    I found an open spot and put out my power bait and waited. That got old after a while so I thought I'd give it a try with my Kastmasters. Now I have a lot of confidence in Kastmasters, I've caught more fish with them than any other lure or jig that I've ever owned so I have a good selection of them in different sizes and colors. but today they let me down, I only got one strike on them and I missed it.
    Mean time I kept changing the color of my Powerbait and about 3:30 I finally got bit, Pulled it in and had a nice 12" rainbow to get started with.
    It bit the red Turbo Powerbait by the way. re baited and about a half hour later I caught it's win for a brace, tried a while longer with no result and decided it was getting too chilly to stay so I packed it in for the day. But it was good to get out again.

2. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Righton Tom glad you got away mine turn in the mornin:big_smile: .

Hey i hear you have a pretty slick boat and big too you still take her out now and then?

3. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Vini I haven't taken my 24' sportfisher out since the accident that shattered my pelvis. It's a lot of physical effort to ride in a small boat on the ocean and I'm just not strong enough yet. I'm getting there though.
    I just this week ordered myself a new 9' inflatable pontoon boat for use on the rivers and lakes. It should be here around the 5th or Feb. so I'll be bringing it to the delta gathering. I think if I work with it rowing it and not relying on the trolling motor it should help me build up my stamina so I can get back to my main love, ocean fishing on my own boat.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good to hear you got out Tom. Bet you were going stir crazy:smile2: Weather been great here. Should be a nice day tomorrow.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Tom,
    You said (& did) the most important thing and that thing is:
    :ah: "You Got Out On The Water"LoL:happy:

How many fish you get is not as important as getting out there and being able to do it (Fishing).
    (Think about it Buddy) :0a14:

Can't wait to meet you Buddy. :smile2:

You take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

6. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Alright! Nothing like getting some fishing in to like I say "ease the nerves."

7. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Tom, you're going to enjoy fishing from the inflatable pontoon. There's so many ways you can fish from it. I've enjoyed mine that's for sure. I bring along a pair of fins and slow troll crawlers or even Pinns Minnows. They are great baits for some of the local trout down here where I fish.
    What kind did you get? I have a 7 1/2' Outcast. It works great but I really think you will appreciate the 9' model a lot better. It will track straighter in the water when you row with the oars.

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    It's called an Unlimited Rogue 9', and I ordered it from wally world online.
    Here's a link to their cataloge page if you want to check it out.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5446611
    I looked at the same boat at Cabella's online catalog and it was $100.00 more for the same package. Needless to say I didn't check BPS as Cabella's is always less. Walmart charges $40. shipping and says it will be here by the 5th of Feb. That's good service on something that large. I also ordered a Bottom Line Fishing Buddy that I think I can figure how to mount where it won't get in the way. And considering how LAZY I am, I thought it would be nice to have a trolling motor so I ordered that also.
    I think when you mount a motor of any kind on one of those, Ca. requires that you register it. so when it gets here I'll have to go to the DMV and get a CF number for it. That ought to waste a day standing in line.

9. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Tom,

That is a good pontoon I'm sure you will like it. As a matter of fact I almost bought a Trout Unlimited pontoon jus like that one when I was trying to decide which one to buy. I chose the Outcast because it was shorter. I figured that I could carry it easier in the back of my truck. That turned out to be a bad decision because the shorter pontoons are hard to control when I'm rowing. I won a trolling motor at a tournament at Irvine Lake but I haven't tried it yet. I'd really like to try it up in the Sierras trolling. I heard that you need to get it registered if you put a motor on it but I haven't looked int it yet.
    I have an Eagle portable fish finder that I use on mine. I like that one because I can use it if I rent a boat. It runs off of eight D-cell batteries and seems to work pretty good.
    Good luck with it when you take it out. I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it.