Lake Darling

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by frostycold1, Jun 23, 2006.

1. frostycold1

frostycold1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anyone fish this lake? All the articles I've read on the internet and in magazines is making the place out to be one of the top catfishing sites in the state. I want to know if the drive will be worth it. Probably going to camp there if it is.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Frank, I haven't fished Lake Darling in decades, but when I did, it was full of eating size bullheads. I heard a few years back it was so overtaken with lillypads that they eventually had to clean it up. Possibly there is a brother a little closer that can fill you in.

3. frostycold1

frostycold1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info. I moved her from Nevada where the main fish is trout. So I'm getting around more and catching all kinds of different fish. Checking out the different lakes around here. The bad part is that theres hardly any open land, it's all owned by someone.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't know where in Iowa your from, but if you're fishing Lake Darling, I assume you're nearby. We used to fish the Skunk River near Coppock Ia. Fished mostly at night with trotlines and bank poles and kept ourselves busy with channelcat.

5. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    fished there last year didn't catch anything but a buzz from the beers i was drinking. they did shock it and said there was plenty of fishes in there , be darned if i could catch anything except fiddlers. if you do get to camp there try to get close to where the fish cleaning station is. use live bait/cut bait. let me know when you are going maybe i can come down and fish with you. shoot me a pm or post it on here

6. 19FarmBoy78

19FarmBoy78 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I live ten minutes from Lake Darling... They just re built the dam on the lake three or four years ago, and the lake is starting to come back. I fished it once last year, from a boat, and our best luck was out by the dam. We used stink bait only, and caught a few nice keepers. If you go stop in at Campers Corner on your way into the lake, (on hyw 78 just east of the main entrance) They are more then happy to let you know what they are biting on.

The DNR is also in the process of building silt ponds above the lake to, they have had a problem with containments in the lake the last few years, and I think this year is the first year that you have been able to keep fish to eat out of it all year.

Since your from Nevada, you might want to try Lake Keoma east of Oskaloosa, it has always had good numbers of good sized channel cats, and also is home to some good flatheads to.

Good luck,
    Nathan

7. frostycold1

frostycold1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well we're shooting for July 25-27. I work weekends so the middle of the week is all I can do. It's a three hour drive for me , so I was hoping it was going to be worthwhile. Taking a transplant from Missouri with me.
    We didn't know to much about this lake. Read about all kinds of past problems, but then they spent $800,000 fixing it. I'll try the areas ya'll said ,I"m sure the camping will be cool anyway. Thanks.
    I'll also be at the lake Red Rock tailwaters July 11-13. Probably will lose a ton of tackle but hope to catch some fish.

8. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    And where will you be July 21-23 ?

9. frostycold1

frostycold1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hopefully I'll be able to stop by Friday night at least.

10. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa