Lake Cumberland

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by villcat, Jul 2, 2008.

1. villcat

villcat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hello all, Im new here, I fish alot of cats, just curious if anyone knows what kind of cats live in lake cumberland?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Chris, Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    chanels and flats for sure don't know about blues

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    BIG ONES !!!!!........Welcome to the BOC......from Western Kentucky:smile2:

5. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    Channel cats, flatheads, blues and spoonbills ,(seen a nice spoonbill about three weeks ago) live there (or used to before the lower end nearly "dried up" )...

We were doing quite well ( plenty of crappie and a few walleye too) a few weeks ago, went last Tuesday and the lower end was so low I didn't even launch the boat :sad2: We "could have" but it was lower than I feel "comfortable with" being on at night .

So we went to Laurel River Lake yesterday to "check it out" seems to have some potential though we didn't catch any cats...

Work on the dam repairs is ahead of schedule, so come fall, things should improve a great deal, there is still a bunch of water in Lake Cumberland , it's just not on "this end" of the lake right now. ( London Dock area)

The good news is the dam MUST be repaired (too much and too many lives at risk) and once the lake is returned to it's level there will be acres of grass, etc for fish to use. On this end we just have to "bite the bullet" for the time being (through the hot summer months mainly) People use electricity when it's so hot, so they generate more, drawing the lake level down even more .

6. villcat

villcat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well Im headed there over the July 4th weekend, I know Ill be hitting up the stripers for sure, but wanted to try some catfishin as well, just werent sure what type were in there. From what I understand most anything that swims lives in that huge lake. We are gonna be launching at the state park, rented a slip for the weekend down there, just hoping the weather holds out for me. I fish alot of Green River lake, and the Ohio River a ton. But wanted to hit the big waters of cumberland this year. Thanks for the info, Ill be sure to post up some info on lake levels, water, and fishin etc when i get home sunday.

7. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    Will be looking very much forward to those reports (good luck to you as well) Also would be interested all conditions where you're at etc.

Stripers have been "fairly easy" to catch at night, and near dawn ; pretty amazing to see those huge fish break the surface just before dark, around dawn...... (or any other time for that matter!)

8. CatMaster3

CatMaster3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive caught channels flatheads and blues out on beaver creek.. Never caught a spoonbill out of there but i hear they get pretty thick down at the dam certain times of the year.. Some old timers tell me they used just go snag a big mess of em :wink:.. Hope this might help

9. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    So how did you do? :cool2:

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Chris, welcome to the BOC this site is full of good info and great people

11. villcat

villcat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well we hit the lake for the 4th weekend, I was disapointed, I think the biggest problem was trying to fish on a holiday weekend with some weather issues on top of it. We tried some night fishing both anchored off points and on sheer walls near deep water for striper using herring and shiners. No luck. Also tried early morning trolling on the main lake near steep walls at about 20-35ft with 1.5oz jigs tipped with 5.5 inch soft swim baits. Bluegill fishing was good in around 10 ft of water, got most of our bites on mealworms over crawlers etc. Set up a trout line saturday night, got 2 cats within 2 hours, 10lb channel 14lb flathead. I think most of the problem was the HUGE amount of pleasure traffic on the lake. I have a friend with a house boat on the lake and we are going to plan a trip back to the lake on a non-holiday weekend. I did have a chance to talk to a few guides and they were having alot of luck with stripers right now using live bait fishing around 30ft.

12. villcat

villcat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I wanted to add where we spent most of our time. Pumpkin creek, Greasy creek, and worked the main lake for striper. The water is way down. looks by the shoreline to be 20-30 foot short of pool.

13. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    Thank you Chris for the update!

I have no doubts that you folks will get them "next time"