lake cumberland

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by thecatman, Jan 20, 2010.

1. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    hey fellas i want to fish lake cumberland or the cumberland river for walleye cats stripers trout and just anything else that wants to bite gut i need some info on the lake and all info would be greatly appreciated will fish with anyone that wants to fish as well probably fishing this sunday and monday

2. Bigben

Bigben New Member

State:
    southcentral,ky
    well as far as i know they been catchin sum pretty nice strippers and small mouths out there havent been out there myself yet.
    the bait shops around here can,t keep any bait on hand everyones hitting the lake pretty hard
    if you launch from the jamestown marina just make your way towards the dam.
    if your planing on going somewheres else just ask around the marina someone will point you in the right direction
    Have fun
    and good luck

3. festus

festus New Member

What types of fish are caught below the dam? I have an aunt who lives in Somerset. It's a little over 1-1/2 hr drive up there for me, just checking.

4. Bigben

Bigben New Member

State:
    southcentral,ky
    strippers large/smallmouth bass,black crappie,walleye,bluegill,rainbow/brown/brook trout,and spotted bass,oh and ofcourse catfish mainly channel but there's others in there.
    i'm sure there other types that i dont know about
    i do a lot of research before i fish a lake thats how i know what there stocked with
    just dont have much luck catching them lol

5. festus

festus New Member

I wonder if the tailwaters of the dam are accessible to bank fishermen? Now I do remember my late uncle said there were trout stocked in there. Back before I-75 was completed I remember riding through there and thought it was a lovely place. About two years ago I had to go up that way for a funeral, but never been back.

6. Bigben

Bigben New Member

State:
    southcentral,ky
    plenty of space at the tailwaters for bank fishing

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think you can keep 1 brown over 20 and a protected slot on rainbows and I think the total limit is less than 8 below the dam ...When they blow that horn on the dam get up the bank !

8. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I just e-mailed Ky F&W today first got a reply that emergency regulations were over for some time. Then another that he was wrong they are still in effect. That is to say limit is 10 rainbows, slot limit still is 14-20" only 1 rainbow over 20 inches and 9 under 14. In Oct. they dumped trout out of hatchery into river by the tens of thousands because of water getting too warm. Take advantage. Anyone want me to forward their e-mail Pm me yours
    Terry

9. crankbait365

crankbait365 New Member

State:
    ketucky
    you can fish cumberland tailwaters from the bank from the generation area down to the first boat ramp in the camp ground if you find the back flow area you will catch some pretty nice walleye,trout,sauger,white bass, and small mouth. we go down quite offten we have a trip planned for the third week of march. u can call the dam for generating schedule here is the # (270)-343-0153 they will tell u the lake level and the river level and the generating schedule. any more ?'s feel free to ask. you eill hve a good time if you bank fish or uot of boat.

10. wildbillcody

wildbillcody New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Are there any blues in lake cumberland.

11. waterdog101

waterdog101 New Member

State:
    london, ky
    yes their are blues in lake cumberland, before they dropped the water level to work on the dam. I like to smallmouth fish at night, so I would go early enough. to tie on some limb lines. and after smallmouth fishing for 3 hours. I would run back to my limb lines and shine a spot light on the limbs that held the lines. if they were shaking, I would troll over and net some nice cats, more channels than anything. but yes I've caught some blues.