Lake Cumberland/ Laural Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by MoDamselfly, Aug 6, 2009.

1. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    Greetings all!
    I'm from Somerset originally and go home to visit a couple times a year. Just wondering if anyone does any good catching big cats out of Lake Cumberland, Cumberland River or Laural Lake. As they would be the closest to home.
    Deb

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would say Lake Cumberland out of the 3..... Read posts of some caught out of Laurel ...The Cumberland is trout water it stays cold all the way down to probably Burksville .

3. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    Thanks Lance. I think next time we go down that way I'm gonna try some catfishing. Maybe on the lake closer to dam. Though Green River is a pretty area too. Does anyone drift fish these larger lakes? I imagine its hard with all the pleasure craft on the water. :sad2:

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Didn't see you mention green river that's even a better choice IMO .

5. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    I've been Green River a couple times, mainly camping and bank fishing back then. Always wanted to go back. I believe it was called Indian Creek or Indian something anyway. :eek:oooh: Its not that far a drive from Pulaski co. But might be a good weekend location to fish and camp and try a few holes. I wonder if the KY catfish have a taste for Asian carp cut bait. The catfish seem to love it up this way. Do the KY cats prefer skip jack, shad or moon eye? Bluegill?

Did a little search and found this interesting piece of info.
    *Flathead catfish, 97 lb (44 kg), caught by Esker Carroll on June 6, 1956 still holds state record for biggest flatty caught and was in Green River. :big_smile:

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would try shad and gill first because they inhabit the lake that doesn't mean they wouldn't hit skips or mooneye .