Lake Cooley?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by killerporkchops, Jul 16, 2009.

1. killerporkchops

killerporkchops New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Has anyone ever heard of catching any catfish at lake cooley? I've read that they are in there from one of the websites listing what kind of fish are in there, but I've never actually seen where anyone has said they actually have done it. If so, what do you use?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Randy, welcome to the BOC, and the South Carolina forum.
    I'm not familiar with Lake Cooley; where is it located?

3. killerporkchops

killerporkchops New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Lake cooley is in the spartanburg/wellford area of south carolina

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I know a few bass guys that have caught them while bass fishing but as for anybody targeting them I haven't heard. I've been there a time or two but I didn't have a boat at the time. Good luck.

5. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    SHHHHHHHHHH Lake Cooley might hold a world record....just go drop a line with a BIG shad on it and chain it to a dock....if the dock is gone in the morning let us know we will all be there saturday!

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I spoke with a couple of guys from Spartanburg Water Work that said they stocked channel cats in all their lakes years ago.

7. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Lake Cooley does have cats in it. I have never seen any come out of there with any size but that doesn't mean there not there. I personally have caught a lot of eaters out of there over the years. It has become more of a bass and crappie fishery. That is usually what is targeted there. I have been told by several good friends that Lyman Lake is full of fat channels, and they have even caught a few nice flatties. Hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Steve

8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Best thing to do is try it. I didn't know wateree had huge Blues:smile2: Fished there many yrs ago and quit to pursue stripers/strippers (whatever)then on to Santee. Messed around and hooked into a Giant cat and give up the striper/strippers.read in a mag about a guy catching big cats in Wateree, thought he was talking about the river below the dam. und out he was talking about the lake and wham! Let us know.:big_smile:

9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I was not aware of Lake Cooley either :eek:oooh: Looked it up on the map and it's pretty close to home. Are there any boat ramps, and if so, where? Thanks for your help - I'd like to check it out :big_smile:

10. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Pat, there is 1 boat ramp, there is also HP restrictions. You have to get an SJWD permit which covers you for cooley and Lyman lake, may even be good for the new reservoir on tyger river. if you take hwy 29 to hwy 292 towards inman there is an intersection if you take a left goes to landfill take a right I think its called Gibbs Rd.?? go about a 1/4 to half mile cross 2 small bridges, take next left. there are signs on that road for lake cooley. its just a couple hundred yards. If you have any problems finding it just give me a call and I can talk you in. I'll PM my # to you.

Steve

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks very much, Steve! Bummer about the HP restriction - I live 10 minutes away from Lake Robinson, but can't launch my boat there as it has a 9.9hp restriction, and I have a 40hp Merc (how ironic) :sad2: But I have an idea: I have a float-tube that I used for fly-fishing high country lakes near Denver. Maybe I could strap a trolling motor to my back and troll in the float-tube :eek:oooh: