Lake Conway (bait fish report)

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by prince, Mar 13, 2008.

1. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The Lake Conway spillway has one gate open and the river / creek is backed up to the spillway- which means plenty of 'bait fish' activity

Just watched a guy (1PM) that walked out on the pipe line and threw his net in shallow / calm water on opposite shore - he was getting a mix of all types and throwing in an area where you're not as likely to lose a net.

He was throwing back the skipjacks and shad that were more than 4" long - he must like fishing with smaller whole bait instead of cut bait ? ? ?

He had a bucket full in a very short time ! !

Anyway - the lake level is such that they will more than likely keep that gate open all week - maybe even into weekend if we can get a little rain

I have left over bait in my freezer and I'm not really ready to put out a trotline yet - but I may not be able to resist - may go get some bait fish in next day or so.

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    prince did you see him catch any big skipjack.ive be going all over trying to catch some and if you for real seen him catching skips ill probably be there this weekend.

3. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    first note: IMHO - big for Lake Conway spillway is 8-10"

Not sure how many big ones are in there - but there are some. This guy only made about 5 throws with the 3' net - and he was throwing over to the side where it's less likely to get hung up (not where you usually find the big ones and he was using the small net that is less likely to be hung up e.g. he knew what he was doing - and what/how many baits he wanted for his trotline - he wasn't trying to fill a freezer with big skips)

He just picked up the net and dumped the catch in the bucket a couple times and there were big fish that were either shad or skips - was hard to tell - he then reached in bucket and picked out bigger fish and threw them back. I was standing on top of spillway looking down but at least one looked like a skip.

On a couple of the cast - he dumped the 'catch' on the concrete pier and there were at least one big skip each time he dumped - he kicked those back in the water and picked up a couple of smaller shad for his bucket

He also was throwing back small bream :) (which he is suppose to do below the spillway)

There is now another problem - with the heavy rain upstream - they will open up with 2 more gates (3 total ) or more than likely they will have to open up 4 more gates (5 total) - which means you can not find a 'calm' place to throw the net - probably can't even walk out on the pipe / piers

Also on the weekend - the snaggers will be out in force i.e. there may be a crowd by the weekend and flying treeble hooks - At least then it'll be easy to tell how many big skipjacks are in there - those snaggers throw them all back - they are after catfish.

BTW: the lake water was warming up nice yesterday - 62-63F around the bank - so the water temperature at the spillway should be creeping up.

Summary: All I know is that there are some big ones - the guy was only after enough bait for his trotline last night. I asked him when he walked out if he was running a trotline - and he said he was 'trying' :)

Sorry I can't be more positive but it really is a changing situation every day with the weather changes - water level change

4. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I was curious - so I drove over and nothing is happening today.

There were all types of fish swimming around yesterday that you could see - nada today

Plus there was a guy throwing a 3' net (on the near side in the backwash - instead of the far side in the calm) - he was not having any luck

Another guy was fishing with stink / dough bait - don't know how long he had been there but he didn't have anything

They still just have one gate open but now the water is also running over the top of the closed gates (this is perfect level for the lake level - but AGFC seldom leaves the level alone - they usually keep the lake too low - just in case of heavy rains.

I put out 3 noodles last night with 3 small bream and I put out 3 yoyo's with three crappie minnows. (I just put these on my fishing pier - not the best fishing place - but easy to do :) :) I didn't even have a gar tear up one of my noodles (this happens a couple times a week - at least - I have plenty of gar around my place :( :(

Anyway - just heard at the hardware store that a guy just came in bragging about catching crappie on yoyo's - including one that was 3.5lbs (not sure if it was last night or night before ? ?

Bottom line - shad - drum - skips - buffalo (saw a real big one yesterday) bream - gar etc that were over the place in shallow water on far side below the spillway - are gone today - checked at about the same time (after lunch) as yesterday

I suspect the strong sunshine yesterday may have helped (just a wild guess) - but cloudy right now and NADA happening

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When Palarm Creek isn't backed up (high), and you can walk out on the concrete apron below the dam, try using a small-mesh dip net up against the bottom edge of the apron. The shad like to run along the edge where the water trickles through the dam. It's almost impossible to get these shad with a cast net because they don't get very far away from the concrete.

6. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey...I love fishin that lake...I grew up on it. It's where I learned to fish. I still have family that live on the lake. Brannon area.

Great big flatheads, brim and crappie...plenty of em.

I've been fishing on that lake and have a tornadic t-storm hit the lake before we could get off. lol It's a good thing we knew the boat trails.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    interesting stuff thank you for the report