Lake Conway 6700 Acres of Fine Fishing in Arkansas

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by SeedTick, May 14, 2006.

1. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Ya'll,

I thought I'd start us a new thread on the lake.

Well, Me and Sis didn't go last Thursday. That 30 mph wind just didn't sound like much fun so we waited and went Saturday. We normally try to avoid Saturday fishing (at the more popular fishing spots) because of the crowd but we didn't see many folks out yesterday. We have been talking about finding new places to fish on Lake Conway because our old honey holes have been taken over by vegetation, we finally got around to it. We fished out of Brannon's Landing. We were trying to remember and best as we could figure it has been 10 or 12 years since we had fished there. We had a great day, the weather was perfect although it got a little warm around noon but then it started clouding up and we started getting a little breeze. We fished around the bank looking for some bedding bream and hopefully some redears. We have always caught some pretty good fish around boathouses and piers so that is where we started. We found our first bream bed of the year around 12:30 and caught some good bluegills. We fished it for a while and went looking for some redears and found another bed but never did find the redears. We brought home 40 good bluegills and 2 redears and we culled a bunch. We didn't do bad for fishing new water and we sure found some nice new fishing spots. I'm planning to take the wife Tuesday afternoon and getting into 'em.

Hey John (Prince), You predicted that this would be a good weekend and you were on the mark.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=228852#post228852

How did you do John?

ST

:0a23:

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Greg, Mac and I fished the hotwater outlet Saturday Night 13 May 06. We started fishing for gill to use as bait. Mac wonted to try for some flats. The majority of the gills that we caught was just to big to use as bait. Fish along the same bank as you and I did the day we fished together.

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Top, When me and the wife went over there last week the bream were banging our jigs like they did when me and you were there. I didn't even think about fishing for bream when we were there I was too busy trying to catch those other scale fish. I'm glad you got to go night fishing I knew you wanted to but I just didn't think I would be up to it. Why do you think the fish didn't cooperate?

I'm sure excited about the new depth finder section. Maybe next time we go I'll know how to use mine.

ST

4. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    A friend came over Thurday and then again on Friday Morning - for half a day. I had promised to show him a couple bream beds

Well with the wind gust at 25 mph - we did NOT do well - we had maybe 15 keepers in the two half day fishing trips.

So Saturday - his son n daughter law came over - for bank fishing. I put them on a bream bed in front of my house. They started fishing around 12:30PM (one would fish while other watched the baby - so sometimes only one was fishing)

We finished cleaning 38 bream at 5:30PM (they kept a few medium size I would have thrown back)

Then after I ate - I decided to walk the bank in new places to see if I could find another place. Started at 6:30PM - it took me 35 minutes to find another bed - then I ended up with 26 nice keepers (I don't keep medium size) - and I stopped fishing at 8PM. I probably had over 50 fish - but like I said I only kept the nice ones.

So yes they were on the bed - but NOT until Saturday - or at least I couldn't find them in the wind - you made a wise decision to stay away Thursday / Friday.

BTW: I'm like you - I usually do not fish on weekend - let everyone else have the lake ;)

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    John, it sounds like you had fun too. What about the redears? I only caught 2 Saturday and I know one was a female because she looked like she was about to bust and I think the other one was a male but their tales didn't look like they had been fanning out any beds. I haven't seen even 1 that showed any wear on their tale, redears or bluegills either one. This has been a weird spring. The redears generally spawn before the gills, around the same time as the crappie spawn and we are usually still wearing a light coat when we begin to catch the first males coming in. Do you think the redears have bedded up yet? Since my old fishing holes are unfishable I can't be a good judge because I may have just not found them yet. What do you think?

Have you done any good on your trotlines?

ST

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I don't like to deal with the crowd on Saturdays and I think that since I can fish any day of the week I should stay out of the way of all the folks that only get to fish on the weekends.

ST

7. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I catch a few redear from time to time and so far their tails have not been torn up. I'd love to find a redear bed but still don't have one :confused2: :angry:

However, last month I saw plenty of beat up tails on the bluegill. Then this month - only a few times - have I seen bluegill tails really torn up.

Summary: not sure the bluegill are really on the bed yet this month and have not seen any sign of redear being on bed around here anywhere.

I haven't been running a trotline - the stumps that I like to tie to are still under water. I think some boaters may have knocked the top off my favoriting place/stump to tie one end.

My neighbors also pulled their trotline last week and last night is first time I saw them go out at night - so they must have put it back out (then again they may have been going out to use jugs ?)

8. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The kid down the street put his trotline out yesterday - then tried to catch some bream for bait. He only had 4 bream to bait the line (he didn't want to 'waste' money buying trotling minnows cause his dad told him the moon was still too full for catfish to bite ?)

Well he got two catfish on those 4 baited hooks.

A 2-3lb channel (we didn't weigh it) and a 15.5lb flathead

The flathead was really long and slim for a flathead - It looked like it should have been a 20lb - surprised me when I weighted it for him

(I have two scales - one digital and one spring) - the spring showed 18 lbs but I know my spring scales are off (high).

I use a walmart plastic anchor that I checked on meat scales and it is exactly 10 lbs - that is How I check my scales.

So far the digital scales have been worth the money (about $40) and those are ones I believe ;)

9. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Lookng forward to the draw down on Conway. Last time about 8 years ago we slaughtered the flatheads! My son , his grampa from out of town , and I kept a limit on bass rods and minnows one morning. They told us the limit was cut in half , we culled down to 15, had over 200 lbs! The largest was 33 lber by the scales at the bait shop.
    Redears are starting to bed up some on Conway. May the 7th a friend and I kept 22 off one bed , some were 11'' long. My son and I went on the 12th and only had 6 red ears and a warmouth. We caught fair numbers of bluegills both trips ,but not very large.
    I live near a lake and mostly fish for Crappie and Catfish. Bet you can guess which one too ! My boat is in the shop and it's making me crazy waiting on it! Only consulation is the winds been blowing almost every day .:big_smile:

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Nimrod, It's good to see another Arkie on here. Welcome to the Brothehood.

Well Guys Thursday was a little disappointing. We fished hard and only had around 18 or so keeper bluegills. The wind was rough early, it was so bad we couldn't tell we were getting bites. I don't know the difference but most of what we caught were what we call yellow bellies and we still haven't caught anything with any wear on their tails. If the wind ain't too bad Saturday me and my daughter are going to try them again.

Hey John, have you been doing any good? I went into Mayflower to get crickets so I ran down to look at the dam and it just had a little running out all across it. I need to go get me some more shad.

ST

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Seedtick, get you a shad dip net and walk out on the concrete apron right below the gates. The water running across the apron drops off into the water, and the shad will gang up right against the end of the concrete apron. They're too close to get with a cast net, but you can use a dip net to get all you need.

Nimrod, welcome to the BOC! Is there still a warning about eating the fish from Lake Nimrod? Do you ever fish the rocky point at the mouth of the deep narrow cove straight across from Carter Cove launch ramp?

12. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I watched a guy walk the bank in the middle of the day - he picked up about a half dozen nice bream - before he went out of sight (around curve)- about 30 minutes

I usually don't start fishing during the days (on hot days) - until after the 6PM news - so I went out today at 6:35PM and fished until 8PM

I got about 10-12 keepers (lost count - but they are in my fish pen :)

I got at least that many that were almost keepers - too big to put on my yo-yo's (I fish for catfish with really small bream on yo-yo's)

And I finally got 6 tiny bream to put on my yo-yo's (that was what I was trying to catch i.e. wanted to bait the yo-yo's to see if I could pick up a catfish
    (now 10PM and no catfish yet - time to give it up :) Turtles are going to have a meal :)

I have company coming tomorrow and I've predicted it'll be nice fishing - based on watching that guy today (and it was windy - while tomorrow is 'suppose to be calm'

Good luck - hope y'all kill them. I'm going to let my company - take their grandkids fishing - while I sit in the air conditioning :)

I hope the grandkids catch some tiny bream - I'll put my trotline out tomorrow night if they do - I need to try to keep up with the catfish kid down the street :smile2:

I predict the bream will be biting but scattered up and down the banks - so will have to work for them - I suspect

BTW: I also went to the dam - I took my net (with long handle) and my small throw net - but the big shad were not up against the concrete like they were before all this rain. I suspect they are still there but not as closely pack against the dam. I didn't stay long - little shad not worth the trouble.

I still have about 150 in the freezer from before - but they are only about 3" long. I'm waiting for the 5-6" ones to come back - may take a week or so to build back up the concentration (best guess :roll_eyes:

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Man it's getting hot! Me and the baby girl (16 years old) went for a while today, we got there around 10:30 (she didn't want to get up too early) and fished about 3 hours. We brought home 21 gills with 2 little redears. We sure had some good ones. I think I am about to get caught up on my bream fishing and I'm ready to hit the river. The flow is going to be about right in a day or two and I'm ready.

Hey jtrew, I got me one of those long handled shad dip nets and it only lasted for about 1/2 dozen good dips or so and the screw that holds the net loop to the handle stripped out. It is the thing for getting those shad when the water is like it is now. I've got it fixed and I'm going to get me some more in a day or two.

I'm like you John I want some big shad. I like those 2-3 inchers but it's hard to beat that gut pouch on those big ones.

It sounds, from what Nimrod said, like the fishing is going to be good on the lake in a few months. I agree they need to pull the lake down and work on the silt and vegetation problem but will the increased pressure on the fish hurt. It seems like it would have to. What have you guys seen in the past? Does it hurt? How long will it take to get back to normal? I don't have any experience from the other times they have done this.

Well, good luck all and let us know how you are doing.

ST

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Ya'll, When I was at the bait shop there in Mayflower this morning there was a guy telling us about a carp he got last week. He snagged a 62 pound bighead carp over at Toadsuck. He said it took about 30 minutes to get it in. He showed me the pictures and I guess I had never seen one. That is one ugly fish. I didn't even know we had them in Arkansas but I guess we do. I bet they are a good fight.

ST

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Seedtick, eventually you're gonna have to do maintenance on any shad dip net; sounds like you're just gonna have to do it sooner. The first thing that went on mine was the wooden handle; I replaced it with a length of the lightweight pipe that's used on top of a chain link fence. My hoop ring had two prongs that stuck up into the handle, so I used a piece of wood and fiberglass resin to fasten the hoop to the metal handle. After a bunch more years, the metal mesh collapsible 'net' finally rusted out; I replaced it with 1/2" hardware cloth, which works great, but doesn't collapse. I can live with it taking up more room better than I can paying almost $40 for a new one. If you are using the net against a concrete wall (which is probably why you bought it in the first place), you're going to run into the problem of the netting (cloth or wire) being quickly worn away by the concrete. I've seen rubber hose fitted around the edge to protect the netting, but wrapping it with rope is a lot easier, and it's quickly and easily replaced when it shows a lot of wear.

16. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Jerry, I guess I'm a little anal about the screw that stripped out but...I've been a machinist since 1981 and I know that that screw was a reject. I have run single and multi spindle production lathes and CNC lathes and I know that who ever made that part either had a chipped threading insert or his die head was messing up. I didn't let parts like that get out of my department unless it was in a scrap barrel. Oh well, I fixed it with a steel bolt and it is stronger now than it was when it left the manufacturer.

That is good info about protecting the netting I hadn't given any thought to that. I'll be keeping my eye on it. Thanks.

ST

17. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I went to the dam to see if the big shad have come back.

I didn't see a single shad - and they have several gates letting out small streams of water. These gates were full of shad before the high water and the gates being left open for a long time.

Guess we'll have to wait for another 'batch' of shad to move up stream.

I'll let you know when I see the big shad come back - I check that area every few days

18. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Howdy John,
    Me too, I drove over there yesterday afternoon to see if I could get some of any size. I never even took the net out of the truck. I watched for a long time from the top of the dam and never even saw 1. I went down to where the creek got wide again and saw a few flipping but not close enough that I thought I could reach them. I'm glad I got some a few weeks ago but now I'm wishing I had gotten a bunch more.

Me and the wife went out on the river for a while this morning and those shad were the only thing we got any bites on. We tried Danny King punch bait and chicken liver and shad and they didn't want whole shad. I could only get them to bite the head/gut pouches. We didn't do any good we had some peck peck pecking and I caught 1 little blue but that was it. It was my first trip to the river this year and it was perfect, except for being miserably hot. They were letting about 25,000 cfs of water come down the river but the fish just weren't interested. I talked to a guy who commerical fishes up closer to Toadsuck and he said they had been having real good luck up until middle of last week.

Keep an eye on the shad because what I've got won't last to long. It's good to hear from you.

ST

19. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I ran bye the dam today and there are a few small shad that move in and out.

The ones I saw were only about 1-2" and there only seemed to be two schools of them that moved in and out. I waited about 30 minutes and never saw more than the two schools - so I never got out my net

At least there seem to be a few moving back in - but I'm going to wait for some bigger ones.

20. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey John, that does sound good, some shad is better than no shad. We went out on the river yesterday and only got a few pecks on shad. They wanted Danny Kings, we caught several small ones on it. We only kept 8 of the bigger ones. They turned the water off around noon and the little ones even quit bitting.

ST