Lake Conroe

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Gonnausegoldfish, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Gonnausegoldfish

Gonnausegoldfish New Member

State:
    texas
    Hello everyone, Im new to the site and gotta say I love it. I just moved to Tomball from california and must say fishing is one of those reasons I moved.
    I have a few questions for lake conroe. I have found a few boat docks to fish from on the south end and have had some success. Mainly using cut shad and only bagging two to three fish at most a day around 2-4lbs. I cant find any bank spots to really fish. Does anybody know of any spots or is this primearily a boaters lake? I have also noticed goldfish being sold as bait at gander mountain and a few bait stores. How well do these work up here?
    Im open ears to new fishing lakes and fishing buddies. Ive been checking google earth and finding tons of lakes between 45 and 249. Anyone fish in these area's?

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Rich! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :cool2:

I've SEEN Lake Conroe, but that's about it. I HAVE "talked" to a couple of folks on here in the past who fish it; I'm sure someone will be along who can help you out buddy.

3. Gonnausegoldfish

State:
    texas
    Thank you, appreciate it. Its nice to see people helping out.

4. SouthernCatdaddy

SouthernCatdaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hello Rich welcome to the sight. I fish lake conroe just about every weekend except during deer season. All I do is catfish. It is hard to find a place to fish from the bank on this lake. You are using the right bait. I usually catch my own bait with a cast net and shad is about all I use. In the next few weeks or so there will be alot of catfish in shallow water 2ft and you will be able to catch a bunch with shad.

5. SouthernCatdaddy

State:
    Texas
    Hello Rich welcome to the sight. I fish lake conroe just about every weekend except during deer season. All I do is catfish. It is hard to find a place to fish from the bank on this lake. You are using the right bait. I usually catch my own bait with a cast net and shad is about all I use. In the next few weeks or so there will be alot of catfish in shallow water 2ft and you will be able to catch a bunch with shad.

6. SouthernCatdaddy

State:
    Texas

7. Gonnausegoldfish

State:
    texas
    Do you go out in a boat or bank fish as well?

8. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Welcome to the site and welcome to Texas Rich. I know you will love both.

9. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the BOC Rich!!!

10. Gonnausegoldfish

State:
    texas
    Thanks guys,
    I love Texas.

11. byron9393

byron9393 New Member

State:
    texas
    Welcome to the BOC and to Texas.
    I live just up the rd from u on Lake Livingston. Havnt been on Conroe since the early 70s. People around here tell me that its a boaters lake now. If u dont own a house on the water or have a boat u pretty much or out of luck on the lake enjoyment. Just what Iv heard from the locals, dont no first hand.

12. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC Rich, and Welcome to Texas.

13. SouthernCatdaddy

State:
    Texas
    I have a boat so I dont usually fish from the bank. I dont know why i posted three times earlier. I apologize everybody.

14. SouthernCatdaddy

State:
    Texas
    I catch alot of fish right up against the bank.

15. Gonnausegoldfish

State:
    texas
    We are looking at boats this weekend and will probably purchase in about a month or so. Im really looking forward to the big blue's and flattys. Thank's for your info, hopefully ill see ya fishin some time.

16. Gort

Gort New Member

State:
    Texas
    You can get a lot of access up on the north end of the lake... up in the national forrest. If you go to the texas parks and wildlife website, fresh water fishing, scroll down to lake conroe... when you get to the listing click on "Conroe"... a map of the lake will pop up and you will see public ramps up on the north end of the lake in the national forrest. Where there are ramps, there will be roads... get a map of lake conroe with all of the roads and you can figure out a spot to camp, fish, etc. I have a few buddies who used to fish for crappie, cats, etc. from the bank in the national forrest area... they'd drive all the way up to the shore and camp out for the weekend. My buddy and I caught over 40 cats, channels and blues, as well as striper one night when a norther blew in... we hid out in one of the coves to wait out the rain.
    The Caney Creek area is a good location... I believe it has frontage in the forrest.
    Another area is off of FM 1097, a public boat ramp/park.
    Take 1097 west from I-45, drive accross the lake then look for a public boat ramp sign... it is brown I believe... on the right a little bit past the lake. It is a "free use" area... with a $5 fee. It has quite a good drop off in the channel on the right... something like 12 ft or more, with good cover in the far end to the right. That spot will be jumpin with crappie, cats, etc. later this week after the temps warm up.
    As you are driving north on I-45 towards Willis (and 1097, main road thru Willis) you will also pass 830... (FM? Loop? not sure)... head west on 830 and it will dead end on the lake... a boat ramp. You can fish there at night, but as it is a free ramp the boat traffic is heavy during the day. I have caught a ton of shad off of the docks there... way more than I could use.
    I average over 15 channels everytime I fish up there from boat docks at night when I stay up at employers house, many times limit out... rarely catch undersized fish... many times catch a good amount of 3-5 pounders... channels and blues... with one container of liver, and/or shad.
    If you can get out on the lake in a boat, that will be best... find the League Line road bed on the west side of the lake, 20 - 30 ft depth... fish straight down as there are trees both sides of the old road... the fish stack up on the road and they are usually larger... you'll slam them till you limit out. When on the lake, look for 2? 3? transmission towers on the east side of the lake... you'll see a cut in the trees as you pass them... League Line road. On the west side of the lake line up the cut with a stump in the lake... league line road... there is a bright light on the shore at night, and the shore looks as if it were chopped off... the old road right of way is not as visible in the trees as it is on the east side... west side is more developed... just look for the stump/pole/somethin' in the lake you can't miss it. You'll be a little ways south of a big point on the west side... 1/4 mile?
    I have only caught 1 flathead so far up on Conroe, a 40 pounder... from the boat docks... 7' 6" med/hvy ugly stick, 20# big game, #1 flounder hook... the hook just went around the cats lip. Talk about fun!!!
    I've hooked it twice more with the same rig, broke off both times.
    He's still out there... just taunting me.
    It's the avatar pic.
    Got online to see where they are catchin them out on the lake, saw your old post and thought I'd give you some locations.
    Hope this helps.