Lake Conroe Report - Catfish are biting

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Cajun Kayaker, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    Made my first trip to Conroe (Cagle) Thursday. Did not know the area and looked for structure and dropped my jugs by 8 AM and fished with rod and reels with water temperature about 50 degrees. I was using cut shad.
    It seemed the crappie and bass fisherman were having a tough time also. All our depth finders were showing plenty of fish, but they were not biting in the morning. It started at a slow pace, but after noon, God turned the light switch on and they started biting. Water temperatures were in the high 50's with no wind and glass finish lake surface.

Met up with Joecatfish and gave my some good tips where to fish. Around three, I was so busy on the jugs, I didn't have time to work my lines and I finished off the afternoon with 10 keepers (all blues) ranging between 1.5 - 3 lbs. Although, I pulled all my jugs by 5, they were still hitting hard. I was pretty tired and sunburned and had my fill of fishing for the day. Joecatfish came in after me said the catfish were really biting and hitting on minnows and he predicted they were going to bite into the night.

It was a good first experience for Conroe and for a Thursday, there were a lot of folks on the water. Every person I talked to said they were taking off of work for the perfect fishing day.

I drove back home and was skinning cats until past 9 PM. Got plenty of fish for a perfect fishing day. I plan to fish Conroe and Livingston in the next few weeks.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Were the cats up on the flats near the river channel? Across from Cagle over in the marshy area...just in front of it a hundred or so yards below the bridge is an old farm pond that's been inundated. Its some good deep water and can be good for fishing. I haven't fished the area in years, so suspect there's not much timber standing these days, but if you can find the boat lanes through the timber areas, they too can be good places to fish. That whole area across from Cagle, while shallow, is a good area to fish, though I don't know about the catfishing. I used to wade it and do great on bass and bream with my flyrod.

3. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Your weights cause me to suspect the weights I gave in the other Lake Conroe report may be a little inflated, Cajun. I just heft 'em, and make a guess. Actually tried to edit, put the lengths (which I measured) in instead of the weights. Wouldn't you know it, either the forums, or my computer, was having a hard time at it, and the window of time provided to make edits elapsed.

Was a pleasurre to meet you, Manny. I hope to see you there again soon, and to meet with you at that other lake you spoke of.

4. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    Joe,
    It appeared you had bigger fish than I ended up with- your estimate is probably close. I plan on getting to COnroe on Friday and see if the catfish have awaken. I'm looking at a couple of spots. I picked up a couple of maps and studying them. When do you plan to go out in that area. Gadzooks (Jerry) may join me, I have to see if he can make it. Fridays are a bit tough for him.

I want to try for Op, which means I have to have live bait to do so. Trying to figure that one out. I tried casting and got nothing last week. See you on the Lake.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    CK, go to the bait house off the Beltway and get some good size goldfish. You can also get them at Gander Mountain. Don't know what size the bait house has, Gander has 2-3" ones.

6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am envious........I wish water was in the 50s here. Heck even the air temps woudl be nice:big_smile:

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If we don't get a cold spell and the daytime temps stay in the upper 60's to mid 70's, the water may be hitting closer to 60+ in 10 or so days. My fishfinder registered almost 70 the other day, but it wasn't as deep in the water as usual, on my canoe rather than my kayak, so think the reading was for the top inch of water.

8. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Can't make it this weekend, Cajun. My wife is coming back from a few weeks in Hawaii tomorrow (Friday), and I plan on spending a little time with her. Maybe next friday, but I have this business I am starting (What you might call a 'chicken enterpreneur', since I still have my day job), and may need to do something in that area. I will let you know. Thanks for the invite, manny and Gadzooks.
    Joe

9. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    Another good day for catching catfish at Conroe in my OK Prowler kayak. I put-in at 1097 (Scott's Ridge) at 6:45. First bite was at 7:15 with a jug and caught the biggest fish of the day. The total for the day was 13 and I had to quit at 1:00 PM because the wind picked up and I was fighting the wave action . It was another good day and Conroe is beginning to be one of my favorite spots to fish. I was going to try for some white bass, but I was too busy with bringing in the catfish. Met a nice guy named spence who was jugging and trotlining and gave some helpful hints and was good company talking catfish talk.

There were a whole bunch of folks out there and looked like they were catching fish today. As you can see I got quite an assortment of blues and channels ranging between 1.5-5.0 lbs. Most were caught on jug using Academy frozen shad and shrimp. I did drift and caught a couple on my rod and reel.

It seemed I was catching at depths between 5-29 feet. I caught the bigest all on shallow water. Surface water temperature approached high 50's. The outside temperature was comfortable and put in a lot of paddle time. Learned some valuable lessons today dealing with waves multipled by PB wakes.

Good fishing to all

Attached Files:

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Nice catch. Next weekend, my oldest son and I may head to the Brazos up at the Falls for a overnight or two night trip. Strider may not go. I told you about those power boats around Scotts Ridge. They can be nasty, especially as the weather warms.

11. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Great catch, Manny! Wish I could have joined you. I gotta get out there more often! See you out there soon, I hope!

12. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Feelin kinda sick.....yep my wife just checked my fishing temp and said you can not work to day. The only way to get you better it for you to take me fishing today...... Well allright if you say so.... See ya all aroung the 1097 bridge n/w corner by the old fish camp:cool2:

13. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    I hate that when it happens. Fishing fever was getting me pretty bad during the cold weather. I did take a vacation day off of work on a Thursday to get a temporary cure. I believe there were about half dozen folks taht they were doing the same thing. It's contageous when the weather gets around 70 degress with less than 5mph wind. Hope to see you on the Lake. I'm in a yellow kayak with a pile of jugs.

Any tips on Ops in Lake COnroe?