Lake Conroe, last Friday 01-26-2007

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by joecatfish, Jan 30, 2007.

1. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Tried Conroe last friday (01-26-2007) with jugs. My plan was to drop 15 jugs, alternating on either side of the river channel on the north end of the lake, then alternate between checking the jugs and fishing over a baited hole. Anyway, I was in a row-boat with no motor (I have a trolling motor, but haven't had time to get down and register the boat). After dropping the 3rd jug, I snapped an oarlock. I had to paddle (not as easy as it sounds) my rowboat back to the three jugs, then to the boat ramp. Really screwed up my day. I did, however, catch one 3 lb. cat on the first jug. Anyone else try Conroe this past weekend?

2. speedracer

speedracer New Member

State:
    Houston,TX
    Hey Joe what kind of row boat do you have,did you make it?

3. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    12' Sears Gamefisher. I had planned on building a 14' stitch-&-glue rowboat, but never seemed to have the time to set aside for it. Process seems pretty straight-forward. Got this one pretty cheap, and it's pristine for being a 1974 model.

4. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Went out again Saturday, 02/10/2007. I only laid out 8 jugs (out of 20 I had planned on). We fished 7-10AM, and my Cajun fishing buddy was obviously pretty uncomfortable with the cold (45-50F), so I hauled them in. 4 blue cats 2-3 lbs. We also tried briefly for crappie, but no bite. Anyone else fish Conroe lately?

5. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    Joecatfish,
    I jug using a 13 foot OK Prowler kayak with about 24 jugs. Someone once remarked, I looked like a shrimp boat coming around the corner. It keeps me busy and the freezer full. I set my jugs out and fish the banks and keep the lines baited. I am a cajun and I agree that cold weather is a bit tuff. But the fishing fever gets so bad I will freeze my tail off to get some bites. Good fishing and great post.

6. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Well, cold doesn't bother me, in fact, I relish it. Must be the pure Scandinavian blood (Parents were immigrants). But, not to get too swelled a head, my Cajun buddy does much better than I in 95+ F and high humidity than I could even hope to do.:crazy: As you, I still go out in the punishing heat of summer, if only for the reward of a few cats, fishing fever.:wink: Thanks, Cajun.

7. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Anyone going to Conroe next week (2/21-2/24)? I am going to take a few days off work, to celebrate the (expected) nicer weather, and catch me a mess of catfish.

8. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    Joe,
    I plan on going out to Conroe next weekend. Any suggestions on places where there may be some good fishing for Cats. I will be fishing out of a OK Prowler kayak, so I stay away from too much big water. Suggestions for put in and any sheltered coves or bayous would be helpful.

9. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Stay out of the south end of the lake (big water, fast boats), and check your private messages.

10. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    Joe,
    Thanks for the suggestions. Good fishing.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Manny, Cagle at FM 1375 is the best place for kayak fishing, though the FM 1097 area is good too, but more big boat traffic. Too many stumps up on the 1375 area. Fish the flats either side of the channel at 1375.

12. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Spent the day at Conroe today, and I caught 6 blue cats 2-5 lbs. (estimated, not weighed). CajunKayaker did quite a bit better. It was a beautiful day on the lake. I would have thought the bite would have been on, since the surface temp. was up 10 degrees from the last time I fished Conroe, but I am not complaining. It was more fun than staying in town.