Lake Conroe, Lake Livingston - New To Texas

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by gunter003, May 24, 2007.

1. gunter003

gunter003 New Member

State:
    Texas
    First I am new to Texas and was wondering about the catfishing on Lake Conroe, Lake Livingston. I have fished on the Alabama River most of my life . I have heard the the fishing on both of these lakes is good to great. What kind of tackle do you use for these lakes and is the bait mostly shad and dipbaits. I have only used cut shad in Alabama. Also is it difficult to catch shad in these lakes, or should I just buy it from the local bait shops?

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Josh. Im from New York so i cant answer your questions, but im sure the Texas members can help you out.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Josh. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer your questions.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Josh Welcome to the BOC. I look forward to reading your post. Sorry I can't answer this question.:lol::big_smile:

5. drillsgt32

drillsgt32 New Member

State:
    texas
    Josh due to deplyments i have been in and out of texas. catching shad isn't aways the answer. get skilled with a cast ned, and catech whats in the water you're fishing. may be shad may be baby blue gill or brim as you and i kn w (i'm from mississippi) cut them small to catch eaters fish them live to take biiiiigggggg pics.

6. twomorrows

twomorrows New Member

State:
    Texas
    gunter003, I have never fished on Lake Conroe, but have fished
    Lake Livingston and we always done really well. No problems catching shad for bait with a cast net either. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. Good Luck and welcome to TEXAS!!!!!

7. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    WELCOME TO THE BOC!! I know that we used to get some big fish on live bream and catawba worms on Ray hubbard and tawakoni

8. speedracer

speedracer New Member

State:
    Houston,TX
    We fished the boat stalls(private)today and caught 15 cats 1 1/2-2#One bait you can't go wrong with is chicken liver on the bottom.

9. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Fished Conroe a bunch. Shad works goood. Shad in TX is usually gizzard shad I hear they don't eat bait but never tried use a cast net.

Best places on Coroe is the main lake body between Cagle campground and Loch Ness campground. During certain time of the day you will see several boats anchored close together in this area they are catfishing.

They usually chum and r&r fish. Read several post in this forum to see how to jugline ( another very popular method) also check the regs to become familiar.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Conroe is considered one of the best catfish lakes, especially for channel catfish, in the state. Livingston has the highest catch limit and is damn good. On both lakes, shad, bream, and shrimp are my favorites.

11. gunter003

gunter003 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for all the help, I have fished Lake Livingston now and really liked the lake. My wife and I went and caught a few fish for eating on the first day. On the second day the wind was a little strong for us so we went into a small cove and found a good spot. We fished for four hours and had 10 Cats that were around a pound, and we caught a little over a hundred bream. So I would say that it was a good trip. Best of all the wife is really into the fishing thing now.

12. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've been fishing Lake Livingston since I was a kid & it is an excellent catfish lake. Shad is the pimary forage & can be caught in abundance nearly everywhere, especially near boat ramps. I've been fishing the Trinity River lately, below the Lake Livingston dam, and haven't really been fishing the lake so I'm not sure whats going on right now. Last year, about this time I caught some really good sized blues & flatties bream near the state park.

13. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    Lake Livingston is a good lake for some big fish. I used to work for the Trinity River Authority and was down there at the dam when they did some remodling on it. You should have seen the huge fish we were netting at the spill way to keep them from dying. If you get lucky you might be able to catch yourself one of there big paddlefish they got in the lake as well. You shouldnt have any trouble catchign some cats on cut shad or even chicken livers. I knbow its deep at the dam try to get in as close a you can to that area. And good luck.