lake co. lakes

Discussion in 'FLORIDA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by akacharlie, Nov 21, 2009.

1. akacharlie

akacharlie New Member

State:
    florida
    It doesn't seem as though there are alot of catfishermen here in Fl. or maybe ya'll are just the silent type. What I'm looking for is some folks here in Central Fl. that fish Lakes like Dorr, Dora, Harris, Dalhouise, Norris Trout, or any of the connecting canals, rivers and creeks like Hanes Creek. Are ya'll out there chasing bass? I can understand giving up a couple days to put some specks in the freezer. where are my brother catfisermen, don't tell me ya'll ve turned into chouch tatters. well I'm going fishing Yall enjoy DR. phill.

2. Sumpfmann

Sumpfmann New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hey, I know what you mean. I'm in the panhandle, near Pensacola. I know there are folks who fish for cats around here, but not like bassers, I reckon they're the quiet, outdoorsy type.

3. akacharlie

akacharlie New Member

State:
    florida
    Say Sumpfmann you must be close to the blackwater river. I do a lot of canoeing and my friends tell my that the blackwater is actually crystal clear water. My grandson is going to PJC and I'll be coming up that way to visit him and take him fishing. It would be nice to take him out on blackwater but I'm curious, I've never fished for cats in clear water, always tainted or dark. Do you have any experience on the blackwater or any advice on clearwater? We have a blackwater Creek here in central Fl. which happens to be my favorite catfishing destination but when you put your hand in up to your wrist you can't see your fingernails.

4. Sumpfmann

Sumpfmann New Member

State:
    Florida
    The upper part of the Blackwater- from Milton/US 90 on up into Alabama- is real clear and pretty and rather small, more like a creek. In this part of the river, I mostly bass and bream fish. It's a lot of fun to float and fish with ultra-light tackle.

The lower Blackwater- from Milton down to the Blackwater Bay- is a lot different. You never know what you might catch! Fresh and saltwater fish are everywhere. I've caught lots of cats around the I-10 bridge. This time of year striped bass and hybrids (stripper-white bass X) fishing can be awesome.

By the way- I went to PJC and University of West Florida myself.

Here's a link to a state park website on the middle part of the river
    http://www.floridastateparks.org/blackwaterriver/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  5. akacharlie

akacharlie New Member

State:
    florida
    Thank you for responding to my quiry I feel lost up there now. It's intimadating compaired to the early sixtys when I was in the service. Back then when you went to Fort Walton beach to go surf fishing the only thing out there was one little kiosk with a couple of vending machines and miles of sea oats. The cat your catching in that brackish water are they feesh or salt water varity. We fished the lower end of the Ockloknee a couple of years ago and the only cats we caught were little joes. Pardon the spelling retirement doesn't come with a secretary. If you go to watch any of PJC baseball my grandson Josh is one of their left handed pitchers they give a full ride. Wishing you well Charlie

6. Sumpfmann

Sumpfmann New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yep, the panhandle has changed a lot. I used to work on charter boats in Destin in the '70s, back then, the beaches were undeveloped and really beautiful. Ah, the price of "progress".

Anyway, the upper parts of the bay are too fresh for saltwater cats (hardheads, we call 'em). White cats are what I mostly catch in the bay, some channels.

7. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Actually, we watch Dr OZ these days ! :smile2:

8. akacharlie

akacharlie New Member

State:
    florida
    Say phanton you are living in my old stomping grounds. I graduated H.S. there in 60. Just about lived on the I.R. You are settiing on ( in my opinion ) the best Saltwater fishery in the U.S. Here's wishing enough free time to enjoy it. Shrimpin crabing ,claming, fishing in &offshore plus surf,hell if we had scollops we have it all. I live in Longwood now but its still in the backyard, so to speek.

9. Cadman0955

Cadman0955 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm originally from the midwest and when I was a kid I did alot of catfishing with my Grandpa at the Lake of the Ozarks at the ole' catfish hole! Caught some great cats there but up by Bagnell Dam there were some monsters...my Grandpa and I had some serious altercations with some heavy cats there at the dam...good stuff and great memories. I'm getting my gear back together for some great catfishing...I'll be watching the forums here for great tips and info so I can catch up...thanks guys!

Dale

10. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Hi Charles;
    I don't come here very often, just came across your post, etc.
    Yeah, I do the salt water in the summer, fall and winter I do crappie and after they go I concentrate on Catfish and ShellCrackers/Bluegill.
    Matter of fact I got a medium cat the other day down below Lake Poinsette (Hwy #520/Cocoa)
    Nice to meet ya.....
    Might want to check out Crappie-dot-com if you're into crappie.
    Have a nice day,
    Danny

11. weinerdog

weinerdog New Member

State:
    Florida
    Welcome Sumpfman. Good to see another NWFL catman around here. (There are lots actually, it just seems like most of them don't get online.) The catfishing is great around here, and I'm looking forward to getting back out there. It's a been a year or two since I pusued it seriously since my boat has been out of commision.

Post some pictures of your catches and I'll do the same.

Mike

12. m slayton

m slayton New Member

State:
    florida
    hello there charlie i live in lake county also what info are you seeking ? i have a few holes hidden here blue cats are common and channles are to butt loads of mud cats eww . i haven't found the big boys yet but a 5-6 pound blue aint tinny is it ? my name is matt please reply back and i try to help find ya some answers .i fish lake dorr in pitman tons but i usally get specs outa there the blue cats in lake dorr are stocked from a few years back this meens there were not born in the lake and they are long and skinny and i turn them loose i ran in to a trot line there and a guy had shrip on as bait and had tons of baby blue cats on it poor babys this git had what i though was a 10 mile long trot line and almost all hooks had a baby or "finger" blue cat lake dorr has plenty of yeller bellies tho and there fat buggers too but you need to be on the correct end of the lake i got an idea of where to start for them. i would not invest alot of time there tho specs are not jumbos but are dependable as in fill the boat with a limit most of the time minnows and work 9-13 foot of water . get in touch with matt77 also he it a good ole boy and we are trying to catch up and swap fishing holes he's got a channle cat hole and i have a blue cat hole :)

13. catfish44

catfish44 New Member

State:
    florida
    live here in leesburg just off haines creek. fish for crappie,bass,bluegill, and (unfortunately) gar. love catfish and have done very well with them up north (alabama ,nebraska) before moving here. haven't done well locating cats here. would love to chat with you. catfish44.

14. m slayton

m slayton New Member

State:
    florida
    and you sir are on one of the better lakes to catch some nice cats too i heard roumors that there are some nice cats being caught at that park with the train parked in it .stay out of the canals but go to the dock just past the canals and set up a slip float and set it as deep as you can go till the bobber falls over then back it up just a hair so the bait is just off the bottom and when you cast it out as it drifts back to you the bait will rest on the bottom and eventually will stop drifting use a minnow will get crappie or blue cat or channel cat, if you want cats only throw em some liver yes its a pain to keep on the hook but you'll find a good method or i'll send ya my method on a seprate post. i am in umatilla and fish lake eustis regularly. gl look forward to hearing from ya .