Lake Chickamauga blue catfish 01-24

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by EricM, Jan 24, 2007.

1. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Update on Chickamauga blues: went today, used fresh cut bait. Caught 1 20+, one 3 lb, and 10 in the 10 lb range. Fishing is difficult, the cats are again holding very tightly to the deep shad balls and tend to suspend 10 or 12 feet off of the bottom. Slowly dropping the bait through them and bouncing it on the bottom triggers some strikes, but they are VERY light hits and you often just get a little extra weight on the line as an indication of a fish. Most of my regular areas are getting no action at all. Very few fishermen, and I only saw 3 other fish caught.
    If this info is useful, I'll be glad to continue to let you know what I'm finding. Just let me know! Good fishing!

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Eric thanks for the report and by all means keep reporting because it won't be long until I'll be coming over that way quit often.

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Eric, we appreciate your reports buddy, keep em coming.

Bubba come on over that mountain, we are ready, if the weather is OK.

4. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Great post. Thanks for the info.

5. BigGodwin

BigGodwin New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the report. What your saying sounds about right for this time of year. The blues are sitting on the bottom and not really feeding or they are secluded in little pockets. Me and Chris have found that the bigger ones are usually by themselves, away from the pack. We had the same thing happen as you, very light strikes and half the time they spit out the hook. Let it warm up a bit and the fight gets real fun. Last year around October was when we caught the 65 lb. and 35 lb. blues on the same day. If you want to have some real fun, stay around the dam or the power plant.

6. TheIrishApprentice

TheIrishApprentice New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I wrote on the wrong account, sorry.
    Thanks for the report. What your saying sounds about right for this time of year. The blues are sitting on the bottom and not really feeding or they are secluded in little pockets. Me and Chris have found that the bigger ones are usually by themselves, away from the pack. We had the same thing happen as you, very light strikes and half the time they spit out the hook. Let it warm up a bit and the fight gets real fun. Last year around October was when we caught the 65 lb. and 35 lb. blues on the same day. If you want to have some real fun, stay around the dam or the power plant.