Lake Chesdin

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rebcatman, Dec 20, 2007.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Has anyone had any luck fishing at Lake Chesdin? I am planning a trip for next summer and want to know if it is worth taking. Thanks.

2. Ranger690

Ranger690 New Member

State:
    VA
    Planning a catfish trip? Bass. Crappie.?

If you are driving south for catfish, you might want to hit the James.

Dayton

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    For catfish. I wanted to try a new place and had never given it much thought until I read it has a healthy population of catfish. I also want a place that has camping, as I would like to stay a couple of days and if lucky have fresh fish for a couple of meals.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Tom, I generally search for good lake fishing rather than river fishing; most likely because I would rather float a kayak on a lake than river based on my experience. It's not that I can't handle a river, it's just that I tend to pay little attention to what's happening while focusing on fishing. I would rather not have both wind and current taking whe'er it will!

I have some good friends that love Lake Moomaw. It is a great lake from what I hear, mostly for its diversity of fish. It is a two-story lake, sporting trophy trout as well as chain pickerel, catfish, even alewife!

I plan on heading down there some time next year...good Lord willin'! :wink:

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks Joel.

I don't know why I did not think of going to Chesdin before now, but I will venture down this next summer and see what happens.

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think this summer the lake dried up quite bit, as a matter of fact I saw on the news photos and it looked like a dried mud cake. I'm sure next summer it might be full. I hope we get some good snows that should help.

7. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    I did just notice that Lake Chesdin has a warning statement posted by VDGIF: "Water level extremely low. Use not recommended."

I certainly do hope that the lake level rises through the winter!

8. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Hey Tom,

You might want to check out Mountain Run Lake and Lake Pelham in Culpeper County. These lakes are fairly close to Manassas and provide great fishing opportunities. VDGIF states that Pelham "probably has more channel catfish per acre than any other lake in Northern Virginia."

There is an annual permit required from the town office; however, the annual permit is about $20, if I remember correctly, which isn't bad at all.

Pelham is a reservoir that is fairly low right now. The boat ramp needs to be dredged, so the catfish have been fairly unmolested for over a year now. The water level is shallow throughout, but perfect for kayak anglers.

I plan on grabbing my permit soon.

9. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks Joel.

I have read about those lakes before, and have wanted to try them. However, bank access is limited and I'm not sure I would be allowed to fish it in my boat, since it has a gas motor on it, though I would only use the trolling motor. I should give the town a call and ask.