Lake catfishing - Need your help!

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by nightrider, Mar 6, 2007.

1. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have a lake I've started fishing that is very limited when it comes to underwater structure. There are a couple of points but the entire lake is pretty much the same. The lake is aprox. 25' deep in the middle, the water drops from a couple feet of water to 15' or more not but a few yards from the bank. There are plenty of cats in this lake I'm having trouble catching them on a consitant basis. Need your help, give me something to try.

2. Cajun Tater

Cajun Tater New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    How big is the lake? Does it have a defined grass line?

Cajun Tater

3. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Welcome both of you to the BOC. We pretty much fish the Mississippi River so we don't have lots of advice for lake fishing. What are you using for bait? We seem to have the best luck just at the edge of a drop-off, but I believe it is due primarily to the heavy current. I think they would prefer to sit and wait until something comes by to eat than to expend too much energy trying to buck the current looking. NIghtrider, looking at your profile sheet, that is some funny catfish in the pic with you!! You don't see too many with scales around here. I'm sure someone will be able to give you some great help.

4. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello Sir,
    I don't know if this will help you or not but I'll keep on typing just in case it may. First off, if the lake has any blowholes or creek channels that run into it, that would be were I primarily set up. Second I have found that lake cats sometimes are picky on what they want for dinner, So I usually bring three or so different baits for them to pick from. If your looking for good eater size cats, I would recommend a dip bait, or chicken liver. But if your looking for a little bit bigger of a fight, You need to find yourself some Shad and Sunfish, perch, bluegill. If your fishing for channels or blues just cut them up and put them on your hook. If your fishing for flats, keep them alive and swimming. Out of all the baits mentioned I've had the most luck on Chicken Livers but again I usually only catch channels between 1 and 5 lbs. One last thing, I have learned is that for some reason when nothing else seems to bring in a bite, Shrimp usually do me pretty proud!

Hopefully this will get you started,
    Garrett

5. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Not sure where you are fishing but........

I usually have better luck in lakes with shiners or cold worms. Small brem is good but I bait different in lakes than on the river. Also see if you can find chicken hearts. Stay on the hook longer than livers but not as long as gizzards.

Good luck!

6. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have caught on liver, cut shad, and worms. I have been fishing what i believe to be a small creek channel that runs through part of the lake but its about the only area with structure that I know of. Sometimes I catch a few and sometimes I catch nothing at all. This lake is full of catfish mostly blues and I catch my shad at the boat launch. I think I need a good fish finder to help me locate the fish first. The scaly thing in that picture was the biggest bass(9 lbs.) that I caught, but just a pound short of me putting it on the wall. Now I'm strictly a catman.Good luck and be safe on the river.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joseph Welcome to the BOC. You mentioned a couple of points on that lake. Set your rods/reels off the points and different depths and see if the cats are relating to a certain depth. Use natural bait if you can get it. You might want to Chum that point area.( Check out the BOC library on chumming) This will draw the fish to your location and make it easier to figure out what bait they prefer on a certain day. I hope this helps.:lol: :big_smile:

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    welcome to the BOC!! I grew up fishing greenlane reservior which is the city of readings water supply. It doesnt have much of anything either. I find there that they like the sand bars & points into deep water and then come into the shallow bays as the sun sets. They follow the crappies around in this lake.

9. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana

Scott,
    The lake I'm fishing has a good population of crappie and I fishing mostly at night time. What bait did you have the best results with?

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would definetly try fishing the points. you also said the lake has a good population of crappie. maybe try a boat/depthfinder, and try to mark baitfish or crappie. this may tell you what depths you may want to fish. then maybe try a slip-float around them depths..goodluck

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    From shore I'd use night crawlers & livers. while drifting in a boat I'd use night crawlers & crappie bellies for the cats minnows & small rapalas for the crappies.

12. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Headed to the lake later to try out some of the suggestions you guys have offered. I will let you know how I do.