Lake catfishing - clickers or not

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by weasel, Jan 27, 2007.

1. weasel

weasel New Member

State:
    NC
    When I fish down in the river I like to have my baitcasters set with the clickers on, especially at night when I'm trying to catch flatheads. I just love to be half asleep and one of my clickers just starts screaming. Dang that's exciting.
    What's best in the lakes? Just putting the rod in the holder and wait for it to bend over or what. I only use circle hooks now and it seems to me if you leave it alone they'll hook themselves.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    weasel i dont use my clickers. i let the rod do the cracking though. i think it really depends on the reel. my clickers are hard on the 7000 c3 and i think the fish can feel that and turn loose. i have fished with tomahawk using them for flatheads and they work fine on his reels but he has some smooth clickers on his reels. they do sound good going off but i have lost too many with my reels and i have adjusted to not using them.

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I normally don't use 'em. I just think that way works best for my type of fishing. If you got circle hooks, then you need to leave 'em off and let the rod load up before even touching it. I used to use circles, but had a bad habit of picking the rod up out of the holder and would feel the bait comeout of the fish's mouth. I would rather lean into one with a big kahle myself. later

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I never use the clickers myself, but a lot do. I just find it much more enjoyable to see my rod slowly arch down towards the water... Actually just thinkin' about it, makes me wanna get out and go..hah

-Red

5. weasel

weasel New Member

State:
    NC
    I usually have a big live bream on one or two poles and that's the one's I set the clickers on. The river's full of gars and most of the time they'll pull really fast compared to a big flat, so I usually can tell what's biting. I let em run until they stop one time then it's usually ON.

Gotta find some 3 ounce weights and get down there. I know it's probably full bank most of the time but I've never tried it in the middle of winter. (in the river below tillery)

6. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I like the kahle hooks too, and I love seeing that rod load up.....:tounge_out:

7. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I guess its just a preference. I use my clickers if I am anchored. I use so many rods at one time, its impossible to keep your eyes on them. If I am fishing at night, I rarely use any light and its impossible to see a rod load up. You can ususally hear it but its easier for me to pin point which rod it is thats running with the clickers on. They also sound cool. If I am drifting then I don't use the clickers.

8. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    In general, lake fishing around here you'll mostly get this answer (5 plus rods):
    drifting - no clicker
    shallow water, still fishing - clickers on
    In shallow water lake fishing, you're normally talking less than 10, very often less than 5 feet ... no where for the fish to run "down" to. Left, right, away from you, or at you is the only directions left. You have to become a line watcher. Even with clickers on, its not rare in shallow water to notice your line just start to "swim" to the left or right (with a 2 oz. no roll rigged carolina) and the clicker not even go off or the rod tip even twitch.
    Using clickers in most cases just comes down to personal choice. I love the sound of the metal clickers in my reels. I've seen to many fish caught on loud clickers, fresh and salt, big and small, to worry about it costing fish.

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I LIKE TO USE CLICKERS.

10. fishman247

fishman247 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    clickers are alot of fun to hear,but i only use them bank fishing...in the boat.....LET EM PULL!!!!!!!!!!!

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Bank fishing, I use the clickers, same if anchored. I don't use circles except on occasion, Kahles are much less expensive and usually do the job, so the clicker is on. Drifting, I don't use the clicker.

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I don't use the clickers. I use circles and I let the fish load the rod. It is very simple way to fish cats. If I used a clicker I would have to use very good technique with a circle to avoid a miss. I rarely miss by letting the fish hook himself. This is under anchored conditions. I personally would never use a clicker while drifting but some may. Just depends on personal preference I guess.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am with mudkip on this one. Since I use circle hooks it kinda defeats the way circles are designed to work. If the bait makes it into the fishes mouth it does not need to run with it with a circle hook. The circle will set iteself.

14. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    I always use clickers,but I fish rivers.I do use circles and I am on top of my rods.When they run I engage my reel fast,they don't run far.I also have a good record with this method.I think the different methods are interesting.Try them all and see what works for you.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good post Kyle. It is about what works best for each person.

16. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I know a guide who keeps his drag set pretty light but stout enough that the fish will still have enough resistance to hook itself. When the fish fully loads the rod the drag is set light enough that the reel will spill off some line on the initial surge of the fish would set off the clicker. Then he disengages the clicker and tightens the star to get more drive on the fish to bring him in. Adds a couple steps but another way to use a clicker.

17. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i know some guides that need to tighten thear drag a hole lot more lol

18. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I know you aren't talking about Capt Catfish!!!:lol:

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It's strictlly a personal preferance weather you use them or not. Most people that use circle hooks do not use them. I use kahle hooks and the only time I don't use the clickers is if I am fishing in heavy current then I will lock the reels down and let the fish hook itself. I will also use the clickers when drift fishing especially later in the summer when the fish are lipping the baits and not getting the hook in there mouth on the initial run. How many times have you had your rod load up then all of a sudden it pops back up and no fish. If you will set your clickers when they are biting like this and let them go for a short run then engage the reel and let it load up or thumb the spool and then set the hook your catch ratio will increase. Just remember if what your doing is not working on a particular day don't be afraid to change tactics. Personally there is no more addicting sound than hearing that clicker especially when it's a slow steady pull:cool2: .

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I go along with the personal preference theme. I don't use circle hooks and I just have an aversion to seeing my poles slide into the water, or jump in the water as the case may be. Clickers help my pocket book.