Lake Calaveras

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by willcat, Feb 28, 2008.

1. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Anybody fishing march 8 @ calaveras???????????

2. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    Most likely, there most every Saturday. Look out for a Old Fat White Haired senior citizen paddling around in a Green Speck Kayak. Been Cat Yakin along the Rip Rap on the Dam and across the lake near the 181 cove fishing under the trees. There starting to move into the tree line again. Haven't started tearing them up yet this year but I normally get 10-20 between 2-8 lbs. Mostley Blues here lately. Hope to meet you on the water.
    :big_smile:

Rick Ryel

3. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Will,
    We might by there but I won't be in the tourney, Bearly started catching fish so I want to get alot better so not to make a fool of myself. Besides, I can't pay the whole amount just for my son and I, the b-i-l will be working so he can't join us. (just as well, he always does better then us anyway)lol

Rubes

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Do any good in the dam rip rap Rick???

5. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    Willcat,

Most of the larger cats are coming off the Rip Rap. I am setting my slip bobber at 3-4 ft fishing over 5-7ft of water or about 10-15 feet off the rocks. There scattered however; course if I don't get a tug within 10-15 seconds I real in and toss it out a little further down. Might be missing some doing that, but I kind of like hunting them rather then them hunting me. The Cats under the trees are laying in 2 ft of water and again scattered. Most of them are in the 14-16" range. I expect them fish to start congregating under the trees right up against the shore any day know. Sure like catching them cats in super shallow water and watching them tailwalk like a Tarpin. Hope to meet you on the water sometime.

Rick

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Maybe I'll see you out there sometime, thanks for the info....

7. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    Well, nothing much at the Dam today. Ran it twice. Used cut Carp and DK Garlic. Only one cat half way to the boat and he got off. Found the Shad jumping on the Bank trying to get away from those hungry cats in the 181 Cove. Caught twelve between 16 -22" in about two hours on cut Carp. All caught up against the bank in less then 2 feet of water. It's that time of the year and it appears the fish have grown a bit. Did fish the trees between 181 cove and the bridge but only caught dinks. Fantastic day to be paddling around. Hope to meet you on the water sometime.

Rick

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks for the report, we'll meet up sometime.

9. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    Rick where do you get the cut carp to fish with!!!!!!!!! If you catch them where and how!!!!!!!!
    Carl

10. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    I use Sunday afternoons to catch my Carp out at the Randolph AFB ponds. But I know Cibilo Creek in Schertz has a lot of them as well. My sons have been going across from the Schertz Park on FM 1518 using a cast net in the pockets along the creek and getting carp, shad, shiners, and small cats they throw back. There are a lot of pockets of water there and the fish are hungry. I believe you can catch them in any body of water in Tex. I just use cheap corn flakes and make a dough ball out them. Never failed me yet. Chum a little with corn either frozen our out of the can, will get them started feeding faster. I enjoy Carp Fishing with medium spinning tackle almost as much at Cat Yaking. I bet you can catch carp out of just about any small body of water around here. If you see a cloud of mud rising off the bottom moving right along, you have found Carp Heavon. Best of luck.

Rick

11. ChrisCraig

ChrisCraig New Member

State:
    Texas
    Do you leave the skin on or not? I know some people do. Just wondering if there is a real difference.

12. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    I take a knife and take the top layer of skin off by going against the scales. then I cut off a slab leaving the inner skin on. I then cut the slabs into 1" wide strips. This way I can cut a piece from the strip to fit what size hook I am using. Once you punch your hook through the flesh side and through the skin, it won't be coming off...really stays on good. Hope this makes since.

Rick