Lake Calaveras

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by willcat, Jun 5, 2007.

1. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    went out saturday night nothing biting w/ a full moon out tried dk's, cheese bait, & fresh shad!!

2. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    was out there as well Sat-night. Try fishing shallow at night. They tend to move up and feed at ngiht along timber and under the willow trees.
    Be careful out there on weekend nights...my clients and I almost got ran over several times by the same boat doing 40 mph with the radio blaring and we were well illuminated with nav lgihts, lantern, headlamps etc..
    Just becareful and tight lines!

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    hey thanks for the info cliff, iv'e seen that guy running fast like that w/the radio loud he doesn't pay much attention!! hey would u mind telling me the best texture dk's blood bait should be At? @ the best treble hook to use? thanks

4. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    that's a really good question Wilcat.
    Being summer time, all punchbaits will get hot and a tad runny, not so much with DK's as others . I keep two containers on board.
    One in the cooler on ice and the other for clients when fishing.
    Once it gets a little runny, I simply switch them out.
    It prevents the bait from getting even tad bit runny and remains the same texture.
    If water gets in the can, simply add some cat tails and stir it around , but I have yet to have to do this with DK's.
    As far as trebles..lots of good ones out there. Eagle Claw Size 6 is good (triple X)
    The most durable and non bendning treble IMHO is VMC size 6 as well.
    Just a tip, sometimes the fish get finicky (late winter) and I have to down size to smaller trebles (#8) but when I have kids out I use #8's as well, it's easier for the fish to swallow it (not too bad usually) than to have kiddos missing fish due to hooksets.
    Give it a try, really imporved the hook up ratio by about 50% for the kids on out trips and was an easy fix. Gott a get them hooked on fishin!
    Good Luck!!
    We tore them up last night with a good SSE wind..had to "slow down" so they guys could fish lighted bobbers at night..lol
    Had 40 good eatin sized fish by from 530-730! Pretty awesome evening