LAKE CADDO FISHING IN FALL TRANSITION

Discussion in 'LUKE CLAYTON' started by Luke Clayton, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    "LAKE CADDO FISHING IN FALL TRANSITION"
    by Luke Clayton

[​IMG]
    Luke Clayton

Uncertain, Tx.- Johnson’s Ranch Marina, situated on the banks of the Cypress River at Caddo Lake, reeks with nostalgia. The Marina first became headquarters for many early day Caddo fishermen back in 1903. The marina was “modernized” in the middle of the past century when piers and docks were built and concrete ramps were poured. Several cabins to house visiting fishermen were constructed on the hillside adjacent the marina. For 53 years, Mr. Bob Curtis owned and operated the marina. Mr. Curtis passed away a couple years ago at the age of 100. I remember first meeting Bob a quarter century ago. His headquarters was a comfortable padded chair behind the counter inside the marina and, although blind in his later years, he was as sharp as a tack and always stayed current on fishing patterns. I had the distinct pleasure of visiting with Mr. Curtis on a weekly basis while gleaning information for a fishing report I did for a major Texas newspaper. We became friends and I enjoyed visiting with him a few times each year when I came to Caddo to fish, usually with my other Caddo buddy, guide Billy Carter.

I was happy to learn that Carter took over management of the vintage marina about six months ago. Billy and his wife Dottie own Spatterdock (www.spatterdock.com); several comfortable lake homes that they rent to folks wishing to take in the sights and sounds of Caddo. Billy also guides fishing and duck hunting trips on the lake.

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Luke Clayton.