Lake Cachuma

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by treddinwater, May 18, 2006.

1. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hey everybody, just thought I'd ask about the catfishing in Cachuma. We are taking a trip out to Santa Barbara this summer to visit a friend of the family and it's been a few years since we've been out there and fished Cachuma and he says he hasen't fished the lake in a while. Last time we were out there, we weren't catfishing at all, we tried for bass with no luck. So this time when we go out there we are gonna try some catfishing since we have more experience at that then at fishing deep lakes like that for bass. So my question is, is there any good catfishing to be done in the park there since I don't think we'll rent a boat this time, and what baits are hot at Cachuma? Thanks in advance.

2. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Anybody out there know anything about the catfishing going on there right now? Or any sort of bank fishing that can be done there? We're leaving for California this Saturday and I plan on taking one of my cat rods in the rod carrier with our ultra lights.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Rick,
    I am in Fresno (Central California). I don't know if ya'll will be in our area, but if so, I love to fish with ya. Here is some info bout the lake in question.
    http://www.sbparks.org/DOCS/cachuma2.html

Sounds like a good catfish lake. Here is what is said:
    "Cachuma Lake is well known for large catfish; the record fish is 32 3/4 pounds! These fish can be taken in the back of coves and near inlets. Use mackerel, with a large hook of 1 to 3-0, and 10 to 20 pound line. Crappie are cyclic breeders and can produce large catches, usually in the spring, however, high-yield years are difficult to predict. When fishing for crappie in the spring,, look for them among snags in the water. Use white, yellow, or silver and red microjigs, light lines of 4-6 pound test, and light action rods. Cast microjigs to obstructions. After allowing the jig to sink, quickly lift the rod tip over it, and retrieve line repeatedly".
    We do a lot of campfire bank fishing around here. Hope we can hook up. I will PM you my #

4. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the info Rob, I tried typing in "catfishing Lake Cachuma" on several search engines and most sites just stated that there are indeed catfish in there with no info on how to get them. I don't think we'll be around the Fresno area at all. We'll be spending most of our time in the Santa Ynez Valley at my dad's friend's house. Thanks again brother.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Your welcome bro.... Have a safe drive and enjoy our great weather:wink:

6. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Just got back from California, what a great vacation:big_smile: . We did get a chance to fish Cachuma, but not for cats. The water was up out of its banks so most of my buddy's spots were flooded out. So we fished some flooded grassy areas and picked up some small bass and sunfish. Then decided to try the bottom with nighcrawlers and wheaties, which produced one 14lb mirror carp and a 12lb common carp.

7. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you ever go back to California in the future a good lake to try for catfish is Lake Piru located in Ventura county or Lake Isbell located in Kern county. Sorry I wasn't a member of the BOC when you posted your thread about your trip to cali I grew up in those areas.

8. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the suggestions Ken, next time we're back out that way I'll have to see if anybody wants to take a trip up to one of those lakes.