Lake Buchanan - Any catfish tips for this lake?

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CatfishBevo, Jun 4, 2008.

1. CatfishBevo

CatfishBevo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Does anyone here fish there?

Any info about the best place to go fish would be a help.

Thanks

CatfishBevo

2. cj5springbranch

cj5springbranch New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have been stipper fishing with a guide and did quite well caught a bunch and took home 4 that totaled 52lbs it was great the guides name is Rick Ransom and he is one hell of a guide.

3. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Albert, not sure but it's been on my radar for ahile now. Beautiful lake and there are some good kitties in it from what I've heard. A little gilr if I recall right just caught a lake record blue outta there around 60 pds.
    The colorado runs into it, so there's bound to be some good fish.
    I'd probally start around there and work that channel as it runs through the lake.
    Right now I'd fish shallow being the spawn is on more than likely or wrapping up. (4-10ft)
    I've been itching to give her a whirl one day soon. Have heard great things about the scenery there as well.
    Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

4. ChrisCraig

ChrisCraig New Member

State:
    Texas
    Going 6-12 til 6-15. Will let you know how it goes. Going to be on the river end. Hoping the wind lays before I get there. Fishing out of a 16ft. jon will be tough if it does't.

5. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    One of my fishing partners told some folks from Goldthwaite how to jug and they caught a 51 lb fish along with several other nice fish. They fished the head waters of the lake in the spring. Their trip was around 4 years ago. My sisters family have made 4 or 5 trips down to jug and have caught lots of 2-4 lb fish but nothing over 10 lbs.

I always begin looking for fish on windy flats near the channel. I almost alway have success on a new lake with this basic strategy. With the water heating up I would try the lower have to start. I do not have a map of the lake.

6. CatfishBevo

CatfishBevo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks guys for the helpful responses!

Don't know when I'll get to go next, but plan to fish Buchanan soon!

Supposed to be a great place to catfish.

Will report as soon as I get to go.

Thanks

CatfishBevo

7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Jay is right, Buchanan has some pretty big catfish. To me it's a good all around lake. You have to be careful if you're fishing by boat, it can get rough really quick. The lake level is pretty low right now, and going to be at record low levels this next spring/summer if the rains don't come. The inflow into the lake has been at its all time lows this year. I can only imagine how the Colorado is looking further upstream.