Lake Brownwood

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wcgordy, May 15, 2008.

1. wcgordy

wcgordy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anybody ever catfished at Lake Brownwood? I am heading there in a couple of weeks with the Father-in-Law. We stay at the state park, but have never had good luck for cats.:angry: Any advice would be appreciated.:big_smile:

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    go to that creek that flows in the north west side (i cant remember name of it)
    Chum it up and use some punch bait and wear the channels out.
    I never caught alot of big ones there but a bunch of 2lbers
    I would go almost to that boat ramp at Thrifty

3. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    Among my friends we call the lake the Dead Sea. Channel cat fishing is not too bad. You can find a windy bank, chum and use stink bait under a cork. The creek that was mentioned is the Jim Ned the other arm of the lake is the Pecan Bayou. With the last rains if the Ned or Bayou are running the fishing can be great. Gotten in on it a few times, if you use worms you will catch yellowcats also. It's a nice lake with great facilities, the whites will chase shad on top of the water early and late. The night fishing off of the docks on McCartney Island is good as well, but a big part of the crappie that you catch are undersized. The lake was stocked with bluecat last year so in about four more summers they should be 10-12 lbs and ready to go. Another good fishing spot on Lake Brownwood is called "Old Chimney". It across from the state park. As you look from the launch ramp it is to the right of Goat Island.

Proctor and Ivie are simply better lakes in my area. I have only fished on Brownwood a dozen times in the past 10 years. I'm on Ivie at least twice a week. My sister and her family fished Ivie from Friday - Wednesday. They killed the big crappie and huge whites at night. They also did well on their jugs lines.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good luck to you all on your trip, hopefully you all can catch you some fish, glad to hear that you and him is going out, keep us informed on how the trip went for ya and if the fish was biting.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i def agree with the Ivie idea. Or if u just wanna have fun, there is a small lake bout 20 miles west of brownwood called santa anna lake. Good BIG channels in there, chum and slip cork or use shrimp/shad. All of those methods work. that is a really small lake though and not very deep. about 20-30 acres and max depth less than 30' but it is fun to fish. lots of bass and cats, even some big yellas

6. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    Clay,

I took my dad out last Thursday afternoon, we went home with 17, then I went out Wednesday, I fished the Old Chimney which Jay was talking about. Took home 30 channels that evening. I was inside the bouys that mark the old rock fence that is submerged you will have to go across it to get into the flat. I was in about 3-5 feet of water. Windy points are good too, if the wind is out of the south or southwest, go to the little island behind McCartney, the point that faces main lake and Lakehaven. On the point are alot of vegetation, get up in about 5 foot of water chum the area then back off and cast with some punch bait under cork set around 3 ft. deep. Best of luck to ya, you get down need some help finding some places holler.

Dave
    325 642 3928

7. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. I do the outdoor writing for the Brownwood and Stephenville newpapers, as well as a bunch of others. We have a speicial outdoor magazine that will appear in next sunday issues of both papers. My buddy Steve Harris is, RIGHT NOW, on Lake Brownwood doing a catfish article with Guide Bro. Terry Terry. The article will be in that special sunday paper.
    Bro. Terry tells me he has been catching some nice channels,using the new punch bait by Magic Bait called STICK IT... The bait is not on the shelves just yet but will be soon.. good fishing to you, Luke

8. cjbrewer5

cjbrewer5 New Member

State:
    Texas
    That was my wife and I that Brother Terry was guiding at Lake Brownwood and Steve Harris was there making a video of the trip. We caught some really good cats both Friday and Saturday. Brother Terry is really great guide and person to know. I would recommend him to anyone wanting to learn how to find and catch catfish. Steve told me that the video would be out on Catfishradio.com in a few days. I can't wait to see it!

Charles

9. cjbrewer5

cjbrewer5 New Member

State:
    Texas
  10. wcgordy

wcgordy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is this article going to be on-line? If so, how can I view it?