Lake Brittle

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rebcatman, Feb 19, 2006.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Has anyone every caught a flathead out of Lake Brittle? The lake was stocked with them in 90 and 91, but not since. Every once in a while the fishing reports in the local paper will indicate one being caught.. I just wonder if there are enough of 'em to make it worth while targeting them, or is just a case of being "lucky" to hook one when fishing for channels.

2. svage23

svage23 New Member

State:
    virginia
    i have caught several flat heads out of lake brittle but not in years. i dont fish there often due to the fishing pressure it gets and the lake is just not that healthy. i would say that 80% of the back side of the lake last time i went . i'm talking about past the 2 main points was only about 3 feet deep due to sediment. but years back there were good sized cats comin out of there i know i've caught a couple that would top 20 lbs out of there. theres a big flat with a bunch of stumps just to the left of the consession stand that usually holds nice cats.

3. svage23

svage23 New Member

State:
    virginia
    if your familiar with brittle what do u know about broad run or lake manassas? both of those produce awesome HUGE CATS !!!! but i was wondering how they do during the winter months?

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Savage,

Thanks for your information. I know Brittle is getting worse, but I still fish it because it is close to where I live. I have rented a boat a couple of times and have gone to the back of the lake, and did pretty well. The flat you talk about, I don't know if it is the same one, but I have lost my share of hooks and sinkers fishing that bank, also have caught some fish too. My favorite spot is right next to the boat ramp fishing in the "cove" with chicken livers.

As for Lake Manassas, I have fished it a couple of times over the last few years(it is not completely closed). And each time have done well either from the bank or in a boat. It is a real shame fishing is not allowed in the lake now, and there are no plans to change that.

I have not fished broad run...

5. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    i doubt brittle is any worse than philpott dam. ive never caught anything than a bunch of mudcats though some big ones have been pulled out of there about every 5 years,

6. svage23

svage23 New Member

State:
    virginia
    yea thats probably the flat i'm talking about. it's pretty shallow, shallow enough to use a float. i got tired of getting hung up so i tried floating cut bait and livers and it works pretty good. i live about 10 minutes from brittle and walking distance to lake manassas broad run though is really worth checking out though. i was just wondering about if anyone did any good during the winter. it is a shame that lake manassas is closed though. u can fish anywhere on the bank (that u have permission to fish) since its all private property and up to the mouth of the lake on broad run from a boat. so they are coming around SLOWLY. i think lake manassas will produce the new state record large mouth at some point. due to the lack of presure its getting all the fish have to do is get fat.....lol

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Savage,

I will have to rent a boat this season at Brittle, and check out the backside of it.. Lake Manassas has huge fish in it, of all types. The City of Manassas and Prince William County need to work together to get public access to it again.

8. Jarosh

Jarosh New Member

State:
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I heard that Lake Brittle has really poor O2 levels in the summer, which pushes most if not all of the fish to the upper 4-5 ft of water?

9. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Jarosh,

I would not be surprised if that is the case. The water gets very warm in the Summer.

10. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Me and a buddy fished brittle a couple weeks ago,and had a heck of a time getting bait,and finally after getting enough it was getting dark so we started fishing,and fished until 2am with only 1 small peck.
    We heard 1 report of a 17lber caught the day before we fished,and talked to another guy that said he lost a good fish that would have went 20# or so,there was also a bunch of dead channel cats laying around the edge of the lake.

11. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Ripper,

Your trip sounds like many I have had at Brittle. Once, I spent the entire night on there without a single bite! Yet, I went a few weeks ago, and caught a few bullheads in no time. I have slayed the cats on chicken livers fishing the "cove"(the area between the boat dock, dock etc) at night. It puzzles me how different the fishing can be in that lake