Lake Brittle

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Stiles85, May 8, 2008.

1. Stiles85

Stiles85 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anyone ever fish up at lake brittle near gainesville? I haven't been catchin much of anything in the way of catfish. Was woderin if anyone could give me some advice as to where they tend to hang out at and what baits they bite best on or if its even worth it to pursue cats up there. Much appreciated.

-Brian

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Brittle can be a very hard lake to fish. I usually do very well, or get skunked. Plenty of large fish have been pulled out over the years, but I think that is more by luck then anything else.

The "cove" by the boat ramp can be good using chicken livers. The dam can be good for bullheads right up close to the bank. While it has been years since I rented a boat, I used to go into the back of the lake and fish in 4 to 5 feet of water early in the morning and did pretty well. Also, try the two middle points casting toward the back of the lake.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I caught a citation Bluegill in Lake Brittle last year: 11.5", 1.25 lb.

I have to agree, though, that this is a hard lake to fish. At 17 acres, it appears to be large enough, but much of the upper end of the lake is very shallow.

There is a lot of fishing pressure on this small lake. I find fishing best when weather is poor; perhaps the fish know that fishermen go home when it rains!

Unique lures and presentations work best because of the fishing pressure, I think. For instance, I saw a fly-fisherman casting a couple of weeks ago, and he was the only one catching anything! I usually kayak toward shorelines that are inaccessible to the shore fishermen, typically the bank opposite the boat ramp.

Check the map out, it will help: http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/waterbodies/display.asp?id=22&section=maps.

4. Stiles85

Stiles85 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What does the two yellow dots on the map that say fish attractor mean? Some sort of device or cover or something?

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    These are pole trees that provide shelter for the fish who prefer it.

Interestingly, the last time I was out there I noticed that the marker that had been floated over the one fish attractor for years was gone. I'm not sure what this means.