Lake Brittle report: no catfish, but some bass

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jeremiad, Aug 21, 2006.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I went fishing Saturday at Lake Brittle. Few were catching anything, and no one that I saw, from sunup to early afternoon, when I left, were taking anything home.

I felt blessed to bring in a couple of largemouths that were keepers. I tried catfishing with two poles rigged with livers and topped with hot dogs, but no takers. The crappies stole some of the hot dogs. I kept the third rod working various lures, which brought in the bass: both from the bottom, one deep, and one shallow.

Lesson learned: if you want to go home with something, then you had better be prepared to fish anything and everything! You never know which lure or bait will work best on any given day (in the summer, anyway).

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Lake Brittle can be a very tough place to fish. And, now that even more people fish it, it will only get worse. I recall fishing there ten years ago, and many times I was the only one fishing it, early morning and late night. Not that way much anymore.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Yeah, Tom, it is a tough lake. I fish Brittle because it is close, it is free, and it is where I fished quite a bit when I was a kid. Funny, I didn't catch many fish there when I was a kid; in fact, I catch something every time I go now.

OTOH, it may be because they stock the lake a little more than they did back then...

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I fish it for all those reasons too. However, this year, I have only fished it three times, the last time was in May. I have gone back to fishing other lakes I have not been to in a while and a few new ones.