Lake Blalock is now Open!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CarolinaCatter, Jul 28, 2006.

1. CarolinaCatter

CarolinaCatter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    :big_smile: Lake Blalock is now open and the fishing has been great. Just remember 30hp max and 40hp on pontoon. Come on down. The lake has been drawn down for two years.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I stopped by there the other day but didn't have enough money for a permit. When I get back from Chattanooga I plan on getting my permit. The warden said they have been catching lots of bass. The lake is 9.5 feet below what it will be once it makes it to the new level. The fishing pier will be right on the water when it fills completely.

I'll try to get with you sometime soon maybe to fish Blalock even.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Where is Lake Blalock?

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Patmansc, Taylor Blalock Lake is on U.S. 221N, exit 78 off of I-85, east of Spartanburg.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Its a bit costly for a permit. For my 15H.P. motor out of county resident its $40 a year. The lake has some alright size channel cats but the draw is the crappie and bass fishing really. I live about 30 minutes from the lake is the only reason I spend the money to fish it.

6. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks for the info, guys, I've never heard of it before.

7. CarolinaCatter

State:
    South Carolina
    I live about two minutes from Blalock. The bass fishing has been okay, not great. But the crappie fishing has been superb. I talked to one boat Saturday that was 8 fish short of having their limit. There were three people in the boat. By my math that is 82 Crappie. Anyway look for them around the bridge columns. I caught a couple nice cats. I had one that would go about 6 lbs. It looked like a blue to me. Definately was not a channel. We caught several more little guys.

8. CarolinaCatter

State:
    South Carolina
    The lake is continuing to rise. I went a couple times this week. Looks like they are still catching lots of crappie under the bridges. The bass were biting good last Tuesday but not so great yesterday. Caught another 6 lbs cat on a jig and pig.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm gonna get a permit in a few weeks so I can fish it while I'm off.

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have passed the lake sev. times going to do jobs and never knew what it was till i done a job for a man that lived close to there. the old bridge by the highway cant remember the name looks like it would be a great place to fish though.

11. canadytoo

canadytoo New Member

State:
    Green Creek, No
    How is the catfishing? I have a permit, but have not been since it has reopened.

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I haven't fished it since they closed it but I plan to soon but most likely for crappie.

13. CarolinaCatter

State:
    South Carolina
    They put the docks in this week. I will be going down on Tuesday night to fish the bass tournament. Some guy weighed a 9 lber last week. The fishing has been kind of slow because the water has been rising a good bit. About two more feet left to go.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I still haven't gotten a permit yet.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Finally got a permit and it will be my last for Blalock. They have went up to $65 for 15 hp or less for one year. if the girl hadn't been printing it when she said how much it was I wouldn't have gotten it this year. They'res no way I will get my moneys worth out of this thing. Man they didn't even kiss me first either. :roll_eyes:

16. catfishing365

catfishing365 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Blalock is one of my favorite places for crappie and bass. Never really tried to catfish there, but I would think there are some floating around. If you like rod yanking, tripple time, crappie action, this is the place to be. The cost of the permit is very well worth it, and on a summer saturday night, the tune of go kart racing will sing to you as you fish. If you take a deep breath, you can almost smell racing fuel!!!! Back to fishing, I would rank this lake in my top 5 for panfish action. Everyone needs to go there once and you will see...... The fish finder never lies!

17. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but I"ve got a 40hp motor on my little boat, which is too big for many of the small lakes around here. Lake Robinson is only 5 miles from my home, but it has a 9.9hp limit on it so I can't fish there either, even though I hear it also has some good crappie fishing there, and rumors of some nice channels too.