Lake Bistineau - Anyone fishing on this lake yet?

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jtholder00, Apr 11, 2006.

1. jtholder00

jtholder00 New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisia
    any one fishing this lake?

2. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Sorry, I didn't see this thread any sooner. I fish this lake some but fish more in Dorcheat, about 1 mile north of where the stream empties into the lake. I haven't caught huge numbers but there are some nice fish in it. My dad and I caught two ops in it; one of them was 20 lbs and the other was about 30-40 lbs. (don't know exactly, it went back to the water before we could weigh it, it was quite a bit bigger than the small one which we did weigh). My neighbor out on Dorcheat says that last spring someone caught a 70 lb op in Dorcheat near where we're fishing. Usually, we catch a few nice channel cats of 2-6 lbs when we put out jugs or lines.

3. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I have caught a bunch of eating size cats out in front of Port of Bistineau along that channel. I have also had moderate sucess with limb lines out from State park while camping there.

4. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I love fishing this lake. I mostly target slab Crappie here but have pulled more than a few 4 and 5 pound channels out as well. Bistineau is also good for Bream and Mudcats for Flathead bait.

5. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    you got that right. you can go out to the state park and catch brem in the shallows easy.

6. mandisue13

mandisue13 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    This is the lake I grew up on. Caught many fish out of this lake. We lived on a canal that fed right into it. I could fish all I wanted and did. I love this lake, many great memories.:dribble:

7. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Talked to a guy at work last night that said the lake was wrapped up Friday. Everyone he talked to were catching a mess of Red-Ears and limiting out on Crappie. I'll give you 2 guesses where I will will be this weekend!:boss:

8. ar_confederate

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Kevin, how did you do fishing the lake?

9. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Sorry, I have been moving, I wasn't ignoring your post. I do well. The cats I catch are usually not over 5 or 6 pounds but I catch a bunch of the 1 and 2 pounders. I mostly fish the lake for Crappie.

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    A girl I work w/lives in Heflin, & goes to the lake all the time. She said everybody she's talked to lately has really been catching alot of catfish & bream. Cats on lines. Didn't say where; she doesn't keep up w/that. Her sister has a little store close to the lake, so they keep up w/all the gossip.

11. ar_confederate

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I talked to a guy on Dorcheat, about 1 mile north of the lake and he was catching quite a few channel cats. I'm going to try some limb lines tomorrow night.

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good luck tomorrow! Hope you catch a bunch of good 'uns!

13. ar_confederate

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I'll let ya'll know if I catch anything. Went with my cast net last night to Turner's pond for bait. About 3 casts and had more than enough. Even caught two nice size bream but threw them back.

14. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    We had a BOC Gathering there a couple of years ago and ran across a guy that was using stump hooks and blood. I think it was cow blood; when water hit it, it turned into a jelly and allowed him to hook it. He did WAY better than we did using yoyos. That was in April 2004 before the drawdown.

15. ar_confederate

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Do you know where he was getting the blood and how he treated it? I seem to remember that you could congeal it in the refrigerator like Jello but am not certain about that. Thanks Rob.

16. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Ar I hope yall do good on the fish. By the way how is Blue? Hope he is bein good.

17. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    emmett, i grew up fishing blood. that's all my dad and grandpa used on trotlines. the only place i know that you can get it local is Hightowers slaughterhouse out on the old arcadia road. been several years since i used any but thats where i got it back then.

the quality of the blood when you get it from the slaughterhouse is the way its gona stay. when they kill a calf, they will catch the blood in a 2 gallon bucket. each bucket will be different. some will congeal very firm, some will not. i've always been told that it has to do with the health of the animal that it comes from. we always go into the refer and hand pick the buckets that we want. most of the blood that they collect will not be any good. if you run your hand down beside the blood and the container its in, you can press against the blood and feel how firm it is. the firmer the better. you want it at least the consistancy of canned cranberry sauce.

once you get it home, lay the piece out on a cutting board and slice it into 3/4 inch slices. then cube it up into squares. we then freeze it in cans or tubs with a lid on it.

we have fished this on trotlines in the mississippi river in strong current. if its good blood it will stay on the hooks. works great on yoyo's too.

i haven't used it in years. all i fish with now is live bait. but for eating size fish it works real good.

18. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    emmett, I was also taught the same thing as Eric, but after you cut it up, lay it our on a screan like one of the old wood framed screan you would find in and old house. Then take sugar and pour over it. The screan lets it drain, and the sugar help dry it. Then put it up just like Eric said. The problem is finding good blood.

19. ar_confederate

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Thanks. I went to school with Marvin and have been wanting to get out there to visit him anyway. I'll have to try this.

20. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I reacon what Eric and Tony said works. I wasn't studying on that process too hard; didn't figure I'd be using blood anytime soon. I was cool though and he caught some good cats.