Lake Berryessa

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KnotGillty, Jun 16, 2008.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Fished Lake Berryessa with a friend. Got there Friday night, launched my boat, and fished for catfish over night. I caught 3 catfish with the biggest pushing 4 pounds (24 inches). But the real reason we were there was that we were registered for a Kokanee derby on Saturday. We woke up before dawn and motored to our starting spot. We trolled hoochies, various spinners (wedding rings, Uncle larry's, etc.), and some other assorted Koke lures. Everything was pulled behind sling blade dodgers and every hook was tipped with cured shoe peg corn. Out of 200 plus contestants, my partner took 8th place with two very nice Kokanee (your two biggest kokes are measured and added together). He won a trophy, a small check, and bragging rights among his friends. I was lucky enough to win a raffle prize so that was pretty nice. The bite was slow overall as I overheard a lot of anglers saying they either didn't catch any Kokanee or they only got one or two. We ended up with 6 kokes for the boat with 3 more that were short distance releases (SDR's).

Tight lines. . .