Lake Bartlett... Here I come~

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Mar 1, 2007.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Howdy there...
    I am planning a trip to Bartlett this weekend.. From what I understand the water is too low to launch a boat, especially a heavy pontoon boat like mine without a 4 x 4.

So I pulled the 'Old Town canoe from storage and am planning on doing a little canoeing up the river area with my lab and my thoughts. I am gonna try a little live bait like carp or gills, depending on what I can find, and some channel cat bait: Dip baits, shrimp, and night crawlers.

* Hopefully I can find some flathead or at least some frisky channels..

If anyone else goes and sees a red canoe with a confused looking white guy, his dog and way too much gear on board, give me a holler!
    ~A

2. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    AZFlats- I am going as well this weekend. Will be in the SB cove area. I am not going to take my toon either. The latest water report is that the lake is down to 38%. I will have my popup and the wife is going to take her kayak. I will probably have her run my lines out into the channel. Of course at 38% capicity it may not be hard to cast into the channel. Next week calls for 80 degree temps so that may be the calling card for a little prespawn to start up. Best of luck to ya!!!

You should be able to drive all the way up to the no wake bouyes. Just be careful of soft stuff. It will appear dry on top but you go a few inches down and its very soft.
    If you get in a bind, give a yell. I will be in a tan 03 Dodge quad cab. The plate number is the same as my screen name.

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks Mike, That's awfully nice of you... Good luck to you sir!

4. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Good Luck to all of you!!!

I hope the weather is nice and you guys catch a bunch of kitties!!!

Ryan

5. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Well the weather didnt quite cooperate. Wind was out of control from around midnight Fri to around 11pm Sat. Picked up a couple of small channels, one 2lb bass, several small carp and a few gills. Caught the first nice fish of the season, a 7-8 pound channel Sun morning on cut carp. Water is still cold and the fish are larthegic. Its supposed to warmup alot this week and that could get things going.... I hope!!!!

6. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Excellent! I hope you had a nice weekend regardless of the wind. It was the same story up on the Upper Salt last night, too much wind and too cold. Glad to see you had some results. I can only hope it heats up very soon.

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I tried fishing the river near the no wake buoys on Saturday morning.. Found no bait, and no channel cats to speak of..
    * packed it up around noon and headed out to the main lake area..
    * Got my truck stuck in some soft sand at the main launch ramp.. (Stupid mistake)
    * Oh, well.... Loaded up the canoe and when to my favorite rock island areas.. Ended up catching 1 carp and 1 blue gill.. ( I have never had so much trouble finding bait.) Found a sweet spot on a rock island with a beach and a good drop off about 25 feet out, it dropped to about 35 feet.. Sandy bottom with boulders all over..
    WIND FINALLY DIED AS THE SUN WENT DOWN

* I chunked my carp in about 6 pieces..
    * First strike around 9pm.. Set the hook into a beast.. I fought it for about 2 minutes and the fish found a hole and cut me off.
    * Second strike about 10:30 pm. Line got cut on the rocks as soon as I set the hook...

Well, the rest of my frustrating night was just like this.. I ended up getting a total of five runs with no fish landed.. I have got to come up with a better way to fish around the rocks and not get hung up...
    ~
    Oh yeah, the next morning I went back to my truck to try and find someone willing to give me a hand.. Finally around 11 am I found a kind soul willing to give me a tug out of the sand...

So, the bad new is that I did not land any fish, I got sand in just about every orifice I have, I am sun burned and my reels need new line from rubbing rocks all night..

* The good news~~~ ITS TIME FOR PRE-SPAWN FLATHEADS!
    * I am taking the girls to Disneyland this weekend, but next weekend you had better bet I will be back to get into some flattys once more..

Take care!

8. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    AZFlats... You should have found me as I would have helped you with the truck problem. Although you were at the upper end of the lake and I was in SB cove. Isnt it stange how the top soil can look so dry and only a few inches down its a muddy mess. I helped out two other people last weekend which were in the same type of trouble with being stuck.

I found a spot in SB cove where I can cast from the shore and hit in 26 to 32 foot of water. I had the wifie run some cut carp lines out a ways (in her kayak)and found a spot thats about 40+ feet deep.

Going this week end again so I will try to fish that area more intensely. I saved my left over chunked carp (frozen). Hopefully it will work as good as fresh.

Not much you can do about the rocks unless you go to some type of real heavy line. Do you run a wire leader? That may help. If I am fishing a really rocky bottom I will run a 18 inch 60-80lb test, wire leader. It holds up real well against abrasions.

LMAO about the sand in every orifice. TMI, but I can relate. Prespawn is real close. Boy, sure cant wait for this weekend!!!!

Have fun at Disneyland sure is a special time taking the kids there. I havent been there in a long time. See ya soon on the Bartlett pond (formarly known as Bartlett Lake)

9. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Andy,

When you said prespawn, I think how is it possible...especially since last weekend I went ice fishing :lol: !!!

It must be a whole lot warmer down there than it is here.

I hope that you and the family have a great time at Disneyland!!!

Although I may not be able to go fishing for a little while, I will have to try and get to bartlett...even if I have to drag my little boat to the water. To be getting runs in early March is just way too cool.

Ryan

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks for the tip Mike.. I looked for you buddy as I treaked back and forth along the river, but I did not see you..

Maybe it is not prespawn yet, but the flats were hungry and cut carp seemed like the ticket..

About my line, I always use 65# to 100# braid. When I fish with cut carp; I will usualy stay with braid and no leader, when I use a gill, I will use a mono or florocarbon leader.
    * I have an idea to keep off the rocks, but it is kinda wild and in the testing stages..
    * When I am fishing off my boat, I can usualy keep the line high enough to pull them away from the rocks, but when you are standing on the shore line, that is a different story..

* Good luck next weekend!

* Who is gonna be the first to post a big flatty catch this year???

11. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Humm 65-100 lb braid. Well disregard my idea as you obviously use much heavier line then I.

I have in the past fished with the weight on the end of the line with the hook and leader attached a ways above the weight to a three way swivel. The bait remains off the bottom. The lead I use on the weight is less then the test rating of my main line just in case the weight gets hung up that way I dont loose my full rig. I have found that this at least gets the fish up a little off the bottom and can give you a slight advantage.
    You probably already know this and may be currently fishing this way but it never hurts to mention what has worked for me.

I would be interested in your "wild" idea that is in the testing stages. I hope it works well so you can pass it along. Since you seem to go big what type of hooks are you running on that line?

Too bad you werent able to find me. It would have been nice to meet you. The last few weekends, I have been to the right of the second boat ramp (as you are facing the water). I camp as close as I can get to the rocky cliffs at the end of SB cove.

We shall see what this weekend has in store... Maybe my first flatty of the year that sure would be nice. Temps are supposed to reach 90 this weekend.... Hurray break out the shorts and put away that heavy "cold" weather clothing.

12. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    Andy if you want to go out on the lake just send me a pm, as we can launch my boat from the main lake point and fish. I was up there 3 weeks ago bass fishing on a sat. afternoon and had no problem launching or trailering my boat. Kevin

13. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Husker what size boat are you launching?

14. Dirkdigler33

Dirkdigler33 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Good Luck this weekend let us know the results !!!

15. azflathead

azflathead New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Azflats, try using heavy mono line around the rocks. I use 40lb trilene big cat in the Salt river where I fish, because the braided line cuts on the rocks too easy.

16. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    Tym2fish, I have a 18'6" Deep-V made by Spectrum with a 120 Force motor. We fished the lake 3 week ago and launched from the main ramp area. hope this helps.

17. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Thanks for the info Husker. I was looking for an alternative launch point. My boat is 28 footer and launching is difficult with the low water level and soft ground.
    I was at Bartlett last weekend and have found a place to launch at SB cove without getting into a mess.

18. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Well I am going to try the wild idea this weekend. Hopefully it works out and I am able to keep the main line away from the rocks.
    * The hook size depends on the size of bait: 10/0-12/0 big river for a live carp. 4/0 khale for small cut bait.
    thanks! ~A

19. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks, I might take you up on that... I saw a few spots myself when I was out there last. I wish I had my toon instead of the canoe. I will definently be bringing the old toon this weekend.

20. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I really fell in love with the braided lines because of the sensitivity. But I think you're right about the mono on the rocks... I will definently change it up this weekend...
    Thanks~:0a31: :0a24: