Lake Bartlett - Daytime catfishing..

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Kubush, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Kubush

Kubush New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am heading down to Bartlett Lake tomorrow morning to try some luck on some catfishing both channel and flathead. I plan to get there early and catch bluegill as soon as the sun comes up and fish up until I can no longer take the heat. I wanted to ask if anyone has had any luck catchin flats during the day time?? I am stuck on shore and wanted to see if anyone could give me some suggestions on location. Right now im thinking the rattlesnake cove area because I dont have a truck, but I am willing to hike. Thanks for any input brothers.

2. azfisher

azfisher New Member

State:
    arizona
    I caught my first flatty at Bartlet during the day about 1pm even though everyone says they don't like sunlight. Although I think it's better at night it's still possible to catch them any time. Good luck !

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Bass fishermen catch flatheads all the time during the day. From what I understand flatheads are ambush predators hiding out during the day waiting for fish to swim by and then the dart out to get them. At night, they swim along using their senses to ambush sleeping forage fish. This is most likely why people catch them at night more often with live bait.

4. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    James,
    Please let us know how you did! I have heard the flats are much more active at night, but timing is everything, and if you have a live bluegill on, I guess you never know.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My biggest flats have all come in the daytime...Deep water holes.

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I caught a few nice flatheads a few years ago during a hot May or June afternoon at Bartlet. The both took the raw shrimp. I kept the line out hoping to catch channel cats while I was fishing for gills...

Here is the link:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16049

7. Capt_Catfish

Capt_Catfish New Member

State:
    az
    right on!
    i think i might try my luck out there sat night-
    are there any roads that drive back towards the river?
    furtherst i can get back is yellow cliffs that i know of

8. Capt catfish

Capt catfish New Member

State:
    Illinois/Az
    Jeff thanks for the call last night....If you need bait shoot me a call,and ill get you all the bait sized green sunnies you need.

9. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    2 trails go back to the river between the 2 lakes shoe and bartlett. the 42 starts at the road on the way to the second boat launch at bartlett, i have not seen it open for years. the second is the indian spring wash trail 31 which I believe is also closed both due to fires. 4X4 is best on both trails.

10. Kubush

Kubush New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    I fished from 5AM-Noon, caught 2 small channel and 2 LM Bass. Bait fish were evrywhere!! Ive never seen the shorline so crowded with gills, small bass and even fingerling carp. Channels were caught on shrimp. No runs on live buegill but had 1 solid hit on cut bluegill that I let sit in garlic salt for 20-30 min. It was a nice day on the lake and look forward to trying it out again soon.

11. Capt_Catfish

Capt_Catfish New Member

State:
    az
    might go tomorrow! thanks for the report

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Fingerling carp??:crazy: Where was your throw net bro?? If you can catch a carp 6-8 inches, that is the best live bait for flats at Bartlet..

13. Kubush

Kubush New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ

I wish they were that size..... all of them were about the size of my thumb and I didnt have any luck with corn for the bigger ones.