Lake Barkley Dam

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by catfish-for-life, Dec 4, 2006.

1. catfish-for-life

catfish-for-life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I went over to the Lake Barkley Dam the Wed. before Thanksgiving. Tried for some skipjack but had 0 luck. Was my first time to go there. Place looks awesome. Easy place to fish from the bank too. Once I get some good bait I will try for some blues. I believe the river that comes out the dam is the cumberland.

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Yes Jay that is the cumberland. The skipjack are pretty much non existent below barkley this time of year. They usually start back in around March. The fishing is decent below barkley but you have a lot of commercial guys that don't per say catch and release. What area are you from??? I fish the Ohio around cave in rock quite a bit when not fishing tourneys.

3. catfish-for-life

catfish-for-life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am in Murray, KY. I just moved here from Oklahoma a few months back. I also tried the KY lake dam for skipjack before I headed up the rode to barkley dam. No luck there either. I would like to find a good spot to catch bait, but I just don't have a clue where to go. Except run down to the cumberland city steam plant. However, I am not sure I would have any luck there this time of the year either.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    We are catching a few skipjack in the lakes right now. Devils Elbow on Lake Barkley is a good spot to try for them. I'll be over there this afternoon around 2 oclock trying for some.

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    The dams are tough for bait right now. I hear cumberland city is not working to good yet either. May have to resort to shad. The gizzard shad are below barkley now, but the cats just don't seem to like them as much. Heck I bet they will hit cut bluegill better right now.:confused2:

6. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    went to cumblersteam plant today and fished from 7 am till 1130 am and only caught five skipjack. i hope they show up soon.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Went below Barkley dam yesterday with Dankitch and we managed to catch about 75 skipjacks in about 4 hours. They were hitting good on white curly tail grubs