Lake Badin report June 05

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tomahawk, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well I made it back out this morning. The winds finally died down. I caught 4 flats from 4-27lbs. Also missed about the same. That 27lber really gave me a fit. I thought I hooked a 40lber. I couldn't bring him up for anything. That fish had some awosome powerful for just a 27lber. It really impressed me. Had alot of hits but they weren't taking my baits too good. They were just killing my baits. Nice morning on the water, not many people. Water up river was at 72*. Using bream and whiteperch for bait.

2. ncdeerhunter

ncdeerhunter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I tried up there sunday night in the spots you showed me and only caught 1 small one. Came off the water at 3 am. Do you think they bite better in the mornings. My luck continues. LOL

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Mike, I think it has a lot to do with fishing during the week also. I can go up there and flathead fish all night on the weekends and only ge a few. I can go in the morning early in the week and slay 'em. I think they have a calendar!!! ON a more realistic note, there is less boats during the week which affects the fish and they usually pull water during the week although that hasn't seemes to make much of a difference for flats this spring. see ya

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    This year I figured out how to catch more when there not running any water. So now I can hit them either way. Those fish up river move around alot and it's just a matter of hitting it right. From what i've seen the past few years the morning bite is better for some reason. I know afew years ago I would go out in the evenings and do real well. I remember some nights where I just quit because my arms were too sore to bring any more in. Might try it again in the morning, see-ya.

5. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Congrats on you catch. I'm still waiting to feel the power of a flat haven't hooked one yet. I have to agree I went last friday night and stayed till about 3am and there were still alot of boat traffic. And more juggers than I have ever seen they were every where from the dam to the trussel. Probally my last friday night trip. Caught one small channel and lost something that seemed to be a nice fish. A question on catching bait? If you see small schools of shad on top around dark and they are in deep water (25ft) whats the trick to catching them ? I threw and threw and ended up with two. Good thing I went brim fishing before hand and caught some of them. When you guys talk fishing in the morning are you refering to before daylight? Way to go again Robert glad you had a good trip,

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    shark you hit the wrong school. last year in the fall i saw small bait from alcoa all the way to the palmer mt on the top but it was too small to catch in my nets. they go right threw the mess. i still get on bait with my graph and cannot catch them because they are small. if you pull your net real fast sometimes you will see them falling back out. look for the ones that make a flicker or small cirlce on the top. most of the time those are bigger. also try throwing right on a drop off because i find the gizzard seem to like to lay on the ledges during the day in the same area they are in the mornings. its like garr creek some people struggle to get bait in there during the day but you need to work the ledges. might hang the net but thats a chance you take everytime you throw it.

7. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    shark/nchunter... I'm with you. I have fished it hard for about 3 months. shad was easy when it was cold but hard for me since. I have caught tons of channels 5-7lbs, a couple 7lb stripers and one 5lb flathead. I use shad/bream/crappie I cut some, some live. I fished 5am-11:00 am alot. 6pm-1:00am alot. all over dam area, back towards tressel, in shallow water behind small island in river....golf course deep water,Gar creek....what is the deal? They are truly elusive...to me anyway. I have changed up the way I normally fish to try to catch something besides a channel cat. I catch almost nothing with that thus far. I have to go to Georgia next weekend and see family but then I will be back to sling something else at them. if you figure out what we are doing wrong please tell me!! lol don't get me wrong, fishing has been great but I don't wake up at 4:00am to catch channel cat. I go thinking the "big ones" are biting.

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Boys, keep at it is all I can tell you. I fished for almost two years for cats and stripers until I really sought after some good advice which is what you are getting here. I put into practice what I was taught and adapted it to my style of doing things and Now I feel I can catch cats and stripers pretty dang good whenever and however I feel like gettin' 'em at the time. I still get skunked too though. You'll never get away from that! Keep at it. Time on the water is the best teacher. Think outside the box too! good luck and let me know if ya'll have any specific questions. Somebody showed me the basics ( Tomahawk) and I sure don't mind showing anybody else the basics. see ya

9. JohnnyBuck

JohnnyBuck New Member

State:
    NC
    I've always fished late evenings into the night. When you go in the morning what time do you like to have the first hook in the water by ?

I may want to take some vacation days. Maybe some sick days to cough cough cough .. .. .. .. I gotta fever

10. CMJ

CMJ Guest

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i like to get there 30 minutes before cmj so i can get all the easy bait....lol. plus i can get a head start fishing his holes.:lol: most of the time i can get out both anchors by the time he gets there and im not moving either. ant that right jeff.....first come ....first served.:big_smile:

12. CMJ

CMJ Guest

That's right Michael, only thing is, I still catch a bigger fish than you....:lol:

13. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Here's a thought, most fish you two catch can fit in your living room aquiarm. Now if you want to see a real fish you wait to you see the gaint flathead Iam going to catch this summer at Falls or at BAdin in the fall. I can see your faces now when I send the pictures. Your eyes will be bugged out and your jaw will be on the floor. And you will be saying to yourself, one I may get to that level of trophy fisherman . But from what I've seen thats a LONGGGG time in the making.

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey i got one bigger than you did last month and i didnt fish half the days you did.:lol: all joking aside really anybody could land a big fish. its just being at the right place at the right time.

Attached Files:

15. CMJ

CMJ Guest

You must be kidding , I just checked the latest N.C. catfishing polls and me and Catfishrus were ranked #1 and #2. I can't even post all of my catches anymore because I get tired of signing autograph's and such. It's tough being famous....:lol:

16. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, anybody can catch a big fish....if you're in the right place at the right time....:big_smile:

17. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I agree Eric! What did you say that big record blue hit, again?
    A medium shiner or something?

We were fishing at Santee about six or seven years ago. Just dragging santee rigs with cut shad about the size of my thumbnail, because we were almost out of bait. A friend with us landed a 79 lb blue. He was definitely at the right place at the right time 'cause if that rod had been closer to me I would've picked it up myself!

:too_sad:

18. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    You guys have real short memories. If I recall, you didn't even catch a blue a over 30lbs until March. FAMOUS, ya ,OK. If I fished all winter and didn't get anything over 30lbs I would of given up. BigBlues over 30lbs are a dime a dozen. This story is also lopsided. You only fish for bluecats. Blues are alot easier to catch then big flats. But here's the kicker, flatheads are more of a trophy fish then blues. Thats why thier harder to catch, not just any Joe can catch them. Now who's the MAN.

19. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Just calm down a little Robert, you sound like you are getting a little upset. I'm not in any competition with anybody , I just like to fish and have fun, and joke around a little on the BOC. You're right it's not that hard to catch a good blue in the winter when they're running good current and all you have to do is run up river to a certain hole and fish that one spot. It gets a little tougher in the spring and summer to catch a good one, just like that 45 pounder I caught last Friday, in June during the spawn.

20. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I was just joking around. It's always hard to tell on the web if someone if joking or getting serious. If this ne front ever leaves the fishing might pick up. If it's not too windy torr iam heading to the lake. I have to get to the lake, I've had enough with work in charlotte.