Lake Badin 5/4-5/5

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Rookie12, May 5, 2007.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    fished up river on Badin Fri. night and got skunked all but a gar, which doesn't really count. started early on Sat. at 5 AM and tried it up river again hoping for a nice flathead. Never did get any flatheads, only a few small channels. went down the lake and started drifting some points and drops with bait on 'em. That was the ticket! ended up with 26 fish caught. biggest was an 18 lb. blue. also got a nice 12 lb. channel cat. the rest were about 3-10 lb. half blues and half channels. I've never caught any number of smaller blues on Badin before. it was fun, got rained on a little bit, but not too bad. threadfin shad was the ticket today! also got a gizzard shad about 2 lb. on a jigging spoon and a bunch of perch. I've never seen a shad hit a spoon, but he was hooked in the lip. go figure. see ya

2. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    my experiance is that once gizzard shad get to about 1 lb size they will sometimes (though it is still rare) hit a small lure....caught a few gizzard shad in the mouth last month with crappie jig...mack

3. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wow sounds like you had a great time . I went wendsday night and thursday morning and got only one small channel. Maybe I was in all the wronge places I stayed up river the whole night. Congrats good job

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    yeah, I saw that the bite up river wasn't happening so I ventured on down the lake to other places. I'd rather catch 'em up river, but if that ain't workin' then I adapt. It took me almost a year to learn that, but I'm glad I did finally learn it. always have a backup plan. That hole should be full of channels and little blues all summer through the fall and sometimes you get a big fish out of there. see ya

5. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You said that you moved up in the lake and started drifting . When you drift do you actually drag your baits on the bottom or are you suspending them at a certin depth like a down line. Every time I try dragging them I end up tying rigs on more than I end up fishing. And maybe thats all part of it. Are you using any special rigs?

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Hey Chris,
    I went up river sat night. I went with 2 rules. "don't fish where I have before and fish only live bait" (I've been trying to catch something besides channels) well got 5 channels and 1 flathead, about 5 pounds. it rained untill about midnight, bite was off after 2am. It was my daughters birthday so she brought some friends to the camp, I gave them cane poles and worms and told them they could keep everything, I had plenty bait. I lost 3-4 I think I need a bigger hook, I would fight them about half way to boat and then they would spit it out.

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    When I drift, I use a santee rig which is a slinkey weight or you can use a bank sinker. usually about 1.5 oz. is good, but when fishing over deeper water, I go to a 2 oz. There was hardly any wind on Sat. so I used my trolling motor and fished 5 rods out the back of my boat. I went about .4 mph per my GPS. I use about a 2.5 ft. leader with a small 1.5" crappie float about 6-8 inches from the hook. Just cast out the rods and let out some line and drag them on the bottom. The slinkey weight doesn't hang up much and the float keeps the bait and hook off the bottom. Your rods will be bouncing around b'c they are on the bottom, but you will know when you get a hit. Channels usually smack it real hard and the rod will go to dancing back and forth. Bigger blues will twitch the rodtip and then double it over and hold it there. It is awesome in the summer with 20-30 fish days not uncommon. They usually are less than 20 lbs., but you will catch bigger fish. I will mix in a slip float or freeline sometimes too. In the summer the blues will suspend sometimes only 5-10 ft. under the surface and that way you can get 'em. My best day for blues last summer was in July and I had a mess of channels, about 12-14 of 'em and three blues 24, 27 and 32 pounds. That was all on slip floats. For bait on Sat. I used 4" threadfin with the tail trimmed and a 5/0 hook ran through their eyes. I don't use circles, b/c I miss too many fish with 'em. good luck

Jerry, you got the right idea if you are looking for flatheads. Try white perch too, they love 'em. Right now, you can catch some on cutbait also. My dad lost one over 40 lb. on Norman yesterday on a perch head. see ya