Lake Badin 5/19

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Rookie12, May 20, 2007.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I fished Badin yesterday and had a pretty good day. Got shad at the dam. Did a little flathead fishing up river first with nothing to show for it. I did catch a 3 ft. gar in my cast net. That was interesting to say the least. Started drifting down the lake in about 15-35 ft. of water and ended up with 11 cats. No big boys, but had a blast. I also had my white perch rods out when I was drifting and I came through a school of fish that blacked out the screen! I said, "what in the... is that?". About that time, all of my perch rigs with cutbait on 'em went down. That's four rods, and I had a striper on every hook between 16-20 inches. got 6 stripers in about 5 min. got another line back down and got a nice little white bass and then they were gone. I've never seen anything like that. I had #4 hooks and itsy bitsy pieces of cutbait. I did manage about 20-30 perch too. I made one last drift just below the railroad bridge and as soon as I got the rods out, one of 'em folded over and started creaking in the holder. I set the hook and told my bud to grab the net. Fought him for a good 10 minutes or so and he came up behind the boat. I knew for sure I had a nice blue on. Well, my eyes and my bud, David's eyes may be playing tricks on us, but this fish looked like a channel cat in the low to mid 40's range. He thrashed on top and went down and we were both screamign about what in the world this fish was. He came back up, did a belly roll and the hook fell out of his mouth. I whined a little and put the boat back on the trailer. Big fish hit at 1:30 PM. Good day, but I'm still heartbroken. This is two years in a row that I lost good fish on Badin in May. Darn it!!!!!!!

2. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Thanks for the report and congrats on the great day fishing.

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    forgot to report on the bait. got shad at the dam and the fish would only hit threadfin for some reason. good thing, b/c I had plenty of them. I trimmed th tail off and ran the hook through the eyes. I found something else out too. If you keep your shad alive and then cut 'em right before you use 'em they work a lot better. Caught twice as many fish that way. Al fish caught drifting. I love drifting in the warmer months. Now I just got to figure out how to get some bigger fish drifting. I still like the numbers though. Waiting on them 20-30 fish days like last summer. I also caught three nice crappie on cut bait on my perch rods. Never done that before. Anybody else ever got crappie on cutbait? see ya

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Rookie12, on LKN we catch large crappie on cut bait during late May and early June drifting shallow points and some times out in the open water. Sounds like you had a blast on Badin.

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Take me drifting with you rookie, I've been trying with no luck. I went fri night and sat night. fished with bream caught at dock. 1 fish friday and one sat. both channels. I tried up river a little but nothing was happening for me. I also would like to see the path yall take to dam. I may do better going up there in ski boat and catch bait, and then fish out of toon. seen alot of jugs this weekend, got one hung on motor. (my fault, glad it wasnt a log) but it was only baited with flat worm. Shad been hard for me latly.

6. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I'll take ya' out drifting Jerry. I'm going to get some bigger drift socks so I can drift sideways in the wind. I've been drifting out the back of the boat and been catching fish, but I cover more water when going sideways. PM me and we'll set up a time to hit Badin and go drifting. Hey Mac, I'm hitting Norman early Mon. morning with my dad. We are looking to find some fish aroudn Davidson or Ramsey Creek and some perch too. Any advice would be appreciated. We'll be drifting. Thanks, see ya

7. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jerry I know the feeling I have been trying drifting to and haven't caught the first fish . I'm with you I want to go with Rookie to he seems to always catch fish . I did make it to the dam last time saftely and caught some shad. Well I'm going in the morning maybe I'll have some good news to post tomarrow. Later guys.

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I'm in Rookie!!

I'm going to be there all weekend (fri-mon) this weekend. I'll go anytime. next weekend going to San Diego CA for 4 days. My wife won a trip through work, 4 days 3 nights in the "W" hotel, $500 spending money,plane tickets for 2. tickets to a work related grand opening(with party) great trip. I will say I'm not looking that forward to it. We will be staying Down Town and I think them people are different...lol is there Any California Catfishers on here?
    Well I'll go look at pacific (never seen it)I'm sure there ok people. but if I had my choice it would be a trip with ocean or lake front and as un-populated as possible. Rookie check your messages.

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    yeah, I'll take you guys drifting and show you how it's donw. There's nothing to it once you figure it out. Thanks to catfishrus who got me into it! It's great in the summer time. You can just get set up and ease across the lake and wait for a rod to fold over. I'll let you know Jerry about this weekend. I may be able to go out with you on Sat. evening and into the night some. I'm not sure yet, but we'll see. I haven't done any night or evening drifting yet this year or we could try the flatheads. I'll PM or call ya'. Oh and have fun on that trip. Them west coasters ain't too bad I guess. I've been to Los Angeles and worked for 2 weeks over there several years ago. It seems like the bad ones are all grouped together. Them folks is alright! see ya

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    heres a couple things that i do when drifting at badin

1. watch the wind direction esp. in open water area. fish the wind blow side of the lake.

2 fish areas that have large bait schools. this goes along with the wind.

3 fish the ledges and other structure in the area you are targeting.

4 take plenty of leaders with you because you will get hung up. you dont want to be setting in the boat tie leaders up. get you one of them pocket book tackle bags with the zip lock bags in it. works good and they are cheap.

5. you will need drift socks at one point or the other. very valueable on windy day. we won a tournamnet at santee last year in 5-6 ft waves drifting.

6. if we get a steady wind at the same direction for several days the fish will stack up on the wind blow side. when the wind switches the fish scatter out.

7 mix up your baits until you find what they want. shad is not every thing to a big blue. we dont eat the same thing everyday.

heres the problems ive had at badin

1. the fish suspend to feed in deep water alot. so bottom dragging dont work good for that. jugs do but im no jugger but i havent been able to find a method for rod and reel that will work as good as jugs for big fish. they are boat sensitive or something when suspended. freelines may be the ticket. havent used that much.

2 some areas are filled with silt on the bottom. maybe a longer leader to get it farther off the bottom.

3 too many small white and channels that take your bait before the big fish have a chance.

blues can be caught drifting and big ones at that but timing has a lot to do with it i think. you fellows chime in with your suggestion.

11. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Nice post Michael, that hits the nail on the head. I did good last summer drifting with slip floats and freelines and caught some nice blues, but didn't put enough time towards it to really figure it out. Just enough to say that it does work! The wind thing is really important too. I caught and marked fish in a windblown pocket the other weekend. Listen to Michael, he's a good drifter! Big fish are hard to find when drifting, but you can catch 'em and it's fun. If your after big fish and not numbers, I would fish more freelines and slip floats than bottom rigs and would stay in more open water the warmer it gets. I got a 32 lb. blue last year in 70 ft. of water on a float set at 12 ft. down. Think about that one! good luck and yes, please chime in with suggestions!