Lake Arcadia Report

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by skeetermagnet, Mar 26, 2007.

1. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I went out Saturday morning to Arcadia. My new KatBobbers (Thanks Gene!) were calling my name and I had to give it a try. I noticed that my annual lake pass had expired and the office was closed, so I went to the dam. It is free to get in there. I fished this spot last year and we ended up catching quite a few crappies by the tower. There is a lot of driftwood underwater up against the bottom of the tower and it usually holds quite a few fish, and quite a few hooks and sinkers. :embarassed:

I set a couple of catfish rods out with shrimp and worms then went about trying to catch some little crappies to use for cut bait. Don't know why but cut crappie seems to work pretty well on Arcadia. The wind was howling and pushing big waves in. This made casting the ultralight all sorts of fun. I could cast 50 feet and have 100 feet of line out with the big bow the wind would put in the line. I caught one little bass but no crappie or perch. That really suprised me as they are almost always there.

So I couldn't put any live or cut bait on the KatBobber to try it out. So I loaded up a 4/0 with shrimp. It took me a few casts to get the depth set properly but after that it worked perfectly. It was easy to cast and the line slid through it without a problem. I figured out quickly that this was a great way to drift a bait without a boat. I walked several yards upwind and then cast out and let it drift back downwind. If only the catfish had gone fishing with me. I didn't get a single bite on any of my rods. The wind kept getting stronger all morning turning the waves to white caps, then big rollers that the wind was blowing the tops off of. That was pretty much my cue to call it a day.

The dam isn't a bad place to fish. Be sure to take a folding chair and be prepared for a little walk. Also a free tip: the dam is built like a really really wide staircase. It steps down for quite a ways. The first step that is kinda out of the water but gets water splashed on it all day, is unbelievably slick. If you decide to step on it, make sure someone has a camera because you are probably going to do a little dance trying to keep your balance and a picture of that would be worth some money.:tounge_out:

I'll definitely keep those KatBobbers with me when I go fishing. I need to get some glowsticks for them for nightfishing, too.

2. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Thanks for the report. I haven't made it to Arcadia yet this year. I did a lil' bit of fishing too on Sat. and the wind was real bad for me also.

Dave

3. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Caught a 25 lb blue sunday, just after dark. Caught about six blues total in about three and a half hours. They are moving into shallower water now. Im completely convinced that they are feeding on water turkey turds. Ill post pictures as soon as my film is developed.

-Matt

4. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    where did you get them at matt? where you in the boat or on bank?

5. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Matt,

Did you catch the 25#'er in shallow or by the dam?

I'm sure you guys know the cove that has tons of tree's. The one past the Island. Well there is a cove on the same side that I have done well at. It is two coves down on the same side, just after the "more navigatable" tree's with the turkey's. When the wind is blowing any bit out of the west they are stacked up on the east shore. I know that they pike wind blown shore lines but, I have never seen so many quality fish in one spot before. Last year that cove would literally put you to your limit culling fish in a mater of a couple hours.

Jamie,

You are absolutly correct. There are so many Crappie in Arcadia that I am lead to belive that EVERYTHING in there is eating them. I wish the Crappie were a bit bigger though.
    I went fishing at a small city lake today and the guy's out there are getting ready to hit T-bird. They report that the Crappie are starting to get on the nest. This would seem like the right time for them to start to spawn. I know that they are tearing them up at the marina at the end of Alameda. My buddy went with a friend of our's to his slip and just slayed them. But in all fairness they allways do. There is alot of chumming that goes on over there as well as tree sinking. I wish my schedule and the guy with the slip were a bit more compatible since I don't have any Crappie in the freezer.

Anyhow........ We should all meet up on possibly when we can have our schedules mesh. I would love to hit Arcadia but it is hard to get myself to drive from Yukon to fish solo.

Dave

6. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    just post a time and date and i will meet you out there.

7. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Matt,

How did I know you would know where the fish were!:big_smile: Sounds like you did pretty well, can't wait to see the pics. I'm pretty sure I know where you were, down on the south end by the trees, right?

So, did you get your water turkey bait at a particular bait shop?:tounge_out:

I've seen some decent crappie come out of Arcadia, but not very many. Most are about 6" long. Hard to get much of a fillet out of them but they do make a good cut bait.

8. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    On that island Ive looked at some of those water turkey droppings and they are big balls of fish fat. Quite unlike the typical bird turd. LOL... Hey, its gross but you got to think like a catfish to catch a catfish.

I've been using these giant shad I netted out of the Cimmaron River.

I released all the cats I caught that night. So big mommas gonna just grow bigger. I know that alot of folks would get pissed but Id like to see an upper limit of around 25 lbs placed on blues at Arcadia. That would be one heck of a way to grow some giants.

9. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Im going out this evening if any of you all want to join me. My boat is a bit leaky so I could only handle a couple of people and my cousin might be with me so then I could get one other. Give me a holler if any of you fellas head out there
    317-2798. It would be cool if we had a couple boats and could have ourselves a big catch pot. Anyhow, the one place I wont be is that dang crappie dock. Too many "experts" blabbering endlessly while catching nothing. LOL... Just too many folks on that dock for my comfort level.

10. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    "Experts" ROFLMAO

Thanks for the laugh buddy.

Dave

11. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Matt, did you get to go out on Thursday with all of the weather around? If you could have made it out, I bet the fish would have really been biting. Seems like they always do in weather like that.

I'm getting to where I don't bother with the crappie dock anymore either. The last time I was there, there was 5 or 6 guys on the back side that each had about 6 rods and were taking up the whole side. I was up there with my son and I couldn't get him on a fish for nothing. They really need to build two or three more of those floating docks. Right now it seems that between the little kids running around and the guys that bring every rod they own, the only folks that can stand to fish it are the obnoxious ones.

12. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Na I didnt go out thursday. Again I planned on tonight... Ill probably just go catch bait.

13. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I posted some pics of cats I caught on the member fishing reports. Im usually at Arcadia on thursday, friday, and saturday night. Especially now that the blues are on fire. The water level is great!! My schedule is chaotic so its hard for me to plan more than a day in advance. If any of you fellas are out that way on any of those days shoot me a PM.

Right now there is a flowing channel of debris moving down the lake in the mouth area. Ive been letting my boat drift along with the junk and slip corking in that stuff about five feet deep. Its alot of fun.

14. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Anybody interested in fishing Arcadia on friday?

15. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I'm headed out of town on Friday. Looks like the weather is supposed to be nice, too! :angry:

16. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    If you have still have extra room I'm down for some fishing.

Dave