Lake Aquilla

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Ol'Yeller, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Ol'Yeller

Ol'Yeller New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've seen some post by Slowhand about Aquilla. Where are the best spots, and what tactics are best for r&r. I fish from a kayak.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. wiskerkitty61

wiskerkitty61 New Member

State:
    texas
    There are like 2 ramps there on the lake. The best for cats would be the one closest to the dam. We fish the area right in front of the dam. Thats where the two creeks merge. Its called the Dairy Hill Ramp. Do a search of Texas Lakes on the TPWD site and it will show you a list of lakes. Click on Aquilla and it will show you a map.

3. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Ya know I've been going down 933 to get to Lake Whitney and never put 2 and 2 together! I even saw Aquilla Creek and thought "How far would I have to go to get to Aquilla Lake?:confused2:" HA!!:tounge_out: Now I know:eek:oooh:.... Thanks for the great info!!! Reps to ya!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. Ol'Yeller

Ol'Yeller New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like to use that boat ramp. It is actually close to civilization. I need to get a fish finder to see those old creek channels. My grandad used to farm that bottom where the hackberry and aquilla creek converges. Corp bought him out in the late 70's.

5. wiskerkitty61

wiskerkitty61 New Member

State:
    texas
    We used to Duck Hunt that Lake before if got filled up. We would put our john boat in at the Aquila Creek access area and go through the pecan trees to shoot the wood ducks. There has been many a morning that while we were setting out decoys, we would see a large blue go under our boat via our q-beam.

6. slowhand

slowhand New Member

State:
    Texas
    We fish below the dam A lot in spring and catch lots of big blues. also you can fish the spillway on the lake side in spring and catch some of the biggest crappie ive ever seen. for channels fish the trees,aquilla is full of stumps so be carefull. Wish they would make some camping spots there.

7. lwarchery

lwarchery New Member

State:
    Texas
    You aren't supose to fish there I got run off by the game warden this past spring. Lake side of spill way

8. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Thanks for the info :eek:oooh: and WELCOME to the BOC!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2: