Lake Anna Report 10-19,20,21

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by foothills, Oct 23, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    fished anna from friday thru sunday but could only talk the guys i was fishing with into catfishing for about 2 1/2 hours on saturday afternoon...we drifted some "s" turns above hunters landing in 7 to 12 feet of water...caught 12 channels...5 of them were in the 6 to 7 lb range and the rest of them were in the 2 to 5 lb range...had several strikes and a few real good pull downs that we did not hook up on...if this short time spent fishing for channels is any indicator of how the channel cat population is on anna...well y'all got a great lake to fish but i don't see very many reports from this lake on here...it's hard to compete with the james river so close by but i would love to spend some time targeting channels on anna and fish some other spots that i marked while striper fishing...i think what we caught were average size fish and never really got into a big channel...we used cut gizzard shad and cut white perch for bait...they strongly perferred the heads...we caught our best fish on the biggest heads we had...we also caught several channels while pulling planner boards for stripers...we caught them on wieghted lines and surface lines both on live gizzard shad and thread fins...i attached a pic of one of the channels we caught on a wieghted line out of 25 feet of water...as far as the stripers go we managed 3 keeper fish in 3 days of fishing and caught a few small ones...we had a fish hit a 12 inch gizzard shad that nearly spooled the reel...after it hit it just took off running and never stopped...we started to pull our other rods up to chase the fish but it came off the hook...i would have liked to have at least seen this fish...by the way...all the channels we caught were fat and very healthy looking fish and were all realeased but one that swallowed the hook.

Attached Files:

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the great fishing report, Craig!

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks for the report. Bass, stripers and crappies steal the headlines at Lake Anna. Everything I have read about Lake Anna states the catfishing is not that good at all due to numbers. Though you seem to have bucked that just a bit.

4. skigill

skigill New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks for the fishing report!

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That was that 58lb channel cat in Lake Anna that is now 68 lbs.

6. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

i wish i knew...would have loved to have just seen what it was!!!