Lake Anna-gizzards/threadfins

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by foothills, Oct 3, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i'm gonna be fishing lake anna in about 3 weeks for cats/stripers with my father in law who lives in that area and i was wondering about the bait fish this time of year...are they schooled up at the mouth of creeks/coves or are they in deeper water...i'm really only concerned with the rose valley, state park, and north anna areas cause that's where we will be fishing and catching bait.

2. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I've never fished Anna, but I read I think it was a few years ago that VDGIF were shocking fish to check numbers and shocked up a chanell around 50 pounds, which I believe would be either a state or world record fish.
    Chip

4. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    When I used to fish lake anna, we would go out in the early, early morning, 3-4 am and throw a cast net next to the lighted docks for threadfin shad. It was quite effective. Also try dropping a underwater green light at night under stubbs bridge. Used to gets tons of shad around, then throw the net for fresh bait. Drift fishing off of the state park in the early am was usually good. Good luck..

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for the good info...what size channels did you catch on average when drift fishing?...were you drifting with slip floats or did you drift on the bottom?...i am familiar with the state park area...have caught several stripers there.

6. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Usually the cats were in the 2-5 lb range. They were caught on a bottom rig. Basically a egg sinker above a swivel and a 2 ft. leader. Caught alot of small stripers that way also

7. Ace Laserna

Ace Laserna New Member

State:
    Virginia
    With the temps cooling you should be able to find them in the back of coves.
    I've also seen quite a bit of bait around the flats early in the morning.

8. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    well we had no problem catching gizzards or threadfins this past weekend...almost every throw of the cast net had some shad in it...we caught them from 2 to 3 inches long up to 12 and 13 inches long...we were also able to catch them all day long in this area...we found a long very slow sloping point that was more less a mud flat that was loaded with shad...they were holding up right on the edge of the bank out to about 4 to 5 foot of water.