Lake Anna Catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mildog, May 9, 2006.

1. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Does anyone here know of any good holes on Lake Anna? I have caught quite a few channel cats, but none of any size. Asking around, I cant find anyone who has caught a catfish over 5 lbs.
    It seems with the power plant there that there should be some hogs in that lake.

2. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I had the same experiences when I lived in Fredericksburg. A lot of people claimed they heard of someone catching fish , but never caught any themselves. I think catfish in Anna are an urban legend. My biggest fish (under 5#) came from the creek channel on the east side of the 208 bridge.

3. Jarosh

Jarosh New Member

State:
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I've heard the same about lake anna, but why waste your time searching when you can fish the James and land big cats for sure.

4. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    I dont know too much about the James except that is a pretty good drive from where I live. My boat is stored at Lake Anna since it is the closest large lake to me in Northern VA. I am even considering selling my big boat and just getting a jon boat so I can hit the small lakes like brittle, burke and occaquan. The state record flathead came out of occaquan.

5. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    If you're in northern va the potomac is loaded with 20-30 pound catfish. I havent fished lake anna in a long time but we used to get some pretty decent channel cats out of there when I was a kid.Most people on that lake fish for striper and bass so it may be hard to find out what is going on.

6. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    where is james?

7. lakeannaman

lakeannaman New Member

State:
    Maryland
    well it depends i fish the private side because i live there and owns property so i could tell you of some good holes if you fish the private side...

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va

The James River starts near Covington in far western Va and flows through Lynchburg then Richmond And then to the bay. Most of the big blues you see caught are below the fal line downstream from Richmond near Hopewell.

9. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    There are also a lot of Flatheads caught in the James above Richmond. In and around Pony Pasture Rapids. Never tried but it's on my list to try in my kayak.

10. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i had a friend of mine fish anna this past weekend and he caught a pile of small channel cats with the biggest topping out at just under 4 lbs...i am going there this fall in october and would like to learn more about the lake so any advice would be much appreciated...does anna only have channels or are there other cat spiecies in there??

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Check out this link... http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/waterbodies/display.asp?id=11.

You'll find that the VDGIF maintains one of the best websites in the country for fishing information.

Hope this helps!

12. Capt. Hugh

Capt. Hugh New Member

State:
    VA
    Don't know if you guys remember, several years ago a world record size channel catfish was shocked up at Lake Anna. There are big catfish there, they need to be targeted more. IMO Capt. Hugh

13. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    what's the best method for channel cattin??...y'all drift, anchor, or use slip corks??...is fresh bait a must have also??

14. GetBent

GetBent Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jason