Lake Allatoona

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Patmansc, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Anybody fish Lake Allatoona for cats?

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There are a couple people here that fish Allatoona. Mostly channels there, some flatheads, and even a few blues. Very few big cats caught there though.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I drove by there yesterday on 75 and that thing was drawn down pretty low. Now would be a great time to go scout some shoreline structure....

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks, guys! The reason that I asked, is that my wife is in an MBA program at Kennesaw State, and she goes down there alone for 1 weekend a month. If I went with her, I figured that I could drag my little boat with us and I could fish while she was in class. Just didn't know if there were any kitties in there or not. Channels are fine - I can use the lucky scrimps! :smile2:

5. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    I don't usually fish that end of the lake . If you have the time try the Little River section or the upper Etowah section. I have fished below the dam a time or two and never did any good. Google COE and Allatoona and you can find all the parks and ramps. The Blockhouse and Clarks Creek are the closest to KSU I thiink. If you have all day ,the Coosa is only about an hour away. Excellent catfishing.

6. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    dont try little river now, It was almost iced over where bells ferry crosses. I wanted to stop and take a pic when I drove over today but I was running late for our kids dr. appt. Looked like a tundra with a little creek in it. WAAAAYYY LOW and WAAAAYYY muddy. I live 3 mins from it and havent fished it in weeks.

7. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Yeah, that's the problem with Allatona. The army Corp. draws it down every winter (supposedly for flood control) by 16 feet. Then they let it fill up in spring. The problem as I see it is that this draw down level is the fish holding capacity for this lake. When it fills up these fish can really scatter. They are still there, they just have a whole bunch more acreage to roam in. It an be frustrating. However, I am like Brad G. I only live a short ways away and fish it a lot out of convenience.

8. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    If you have the time ,now is an excellent time to see tha structure you will be fishing come spring. Just be careful and watch your depth finder.