Lake Afton anyone?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bigfish18, May 13, 2009.

1. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I havent fished lake Afton very much but now that the boat doesnt run I think Im going to give it a shot. I recently went into the bait shop out there and saw a picture of a flathead that went 72 pounds. I know the lake takes heavy fishing pressure. I would bet that most of the pressure is toward channel cats. What is everyones opinion on Lake Afton???

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Never fished it Cody. Sounds like a good place to float a big live perch under a kat bobber. :cool2:

3. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    When I lived in wichita my wife and I used to fish it alot - lots of channels with the occational albino being caught - they used to (maybe still do) have feeders out on some of the piers - lots of shad in the lake also - good #s of walleyes in the 3 to 4 pound range also - lots of small green eared sunfish under the docks to catch as bait - this was 12yrs ago but I would think it would still be good fishing - I think they stock it fairly well as you used to have to purchase daily fishing passes for the lake. Best bait for the channels was rabbit livers - you used to buy them at the office and they always out fished everything else

4. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I HAVEN'T FISHED IT IN YEARS, THEY DRAINED IT DOWN TO A TRICKE ABOUT 6-8 YEARS AGO, I ALSO HAVE SEEN SOME BIG FLATS CAUGHT THERE, THE GUYS I KNEW WHO FISH IT WOULD USE A BOAT TO TAKE THIER LINES OUT TO THE OLD CREEK CHANNEL. THEY FISHED OUT BY
    MCARTHER ROAD SIDE WHERE THE CREEK RUNSINTO THE LAKE RWG

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Ive seen that pic too. That lake does produce some BIG ones, which is suprising considering the pressure. I think its only 200 something acres.
    Ive fished there some, never done really good. I have seen some smaller flatheads, which means there are some big ones there.
    Its close to me so I take my little boat there every once in a while.
    I think a big one is possible but it would take alot of patience.
    I try to fish there during the week beacuse its too packed on the weekends.

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I remember when I was a kid, one of the roads around it had all of the fence posts topped with big Flathead heads. Never really fished it to much myself.

7. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    It was built from 39 to 42, so its old enough to have some monsters

8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Wanna set up camp sometime?:smile2:
    We can use my little jon to run baits out to the creek.:wink:

9. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Kyle, me and a buddy are going to go carp fishing there this saturday. Let me know if you want to come out. I am probably going to flathead fish after dark.

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I might be able to make it out there for awhile.
    Stupid cold front comin through tonight.:sad2: Hope it dont hurt the fishin.

11. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    If you come out I will be tent camping on the north end of the main lake, south of Macarthur in the middle if that makes sense. I drive a beat up 85 gmc longbed pickup. It is red, white, dirt and rust, with a flathead sticker on the back window. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I know where you are talkin about.
    I drive an White 89 Mazda Flatbed. It also sticks out like a sore thumb.:smile2:

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    ACTUALLY, Kyle is the "sore thumb":eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2::smile2::smile2:

14. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I was thinking he was more of a pain in .......................well you know what I mean.:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Screw both of you.:smile2:

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Did you guys have any luck? My dad tells stories of monsters coming out of there when HE was a kid, so I know they are there. My boy and his buddy went behind the "spillway" (if you could call it that) a few weeks ago with ultralight and worms and caught channel cats 1-2lbs until they went through three dozen worms. They had a blast. It is only 7 miles from my house, so if you guys are going back some time, let me know, I will try to swing out.

I drive a GIANT Ford dually, '99 crew cab 4x4, with a flathead reaper sticker on the back wndow. It stands out, for good reason, it takes an acre and a half to turn the damm thing around, so you had better be out of my way! :smile2:

17. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Jeff, we went in search of carp. We caught a few. I will let you know when I go back out there.

18. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I just stopped to visit, didnt fish.:wink:
    It was nice meetin ya Cody.

19. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas