Lake 2 me 0

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by Scott Daw, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ok so I wasnt sure where to put it so here it is. I thought I'd christen by new canoe today at lake nockamixon since its the first day with out rain. Well heres my regional report.... The water is COLD!! thats it. Ohh and that the dock there at the marina isnt canoe friendly. I think I should have launched from shore. I had one end tied off. I step down into the canoe. I go to plant my butt in my seat so I can put on my life preserver.....only to capsize at the dock in about 5 or 6 feet of water. I will now tell you from experience, Fleece jackets (2 xlt) weight about 30 lbs when filled with freezing lake water. The lake has claimed my cell phone & anchor. I'm lucky it didnt claim my life as well. I beached the canoe & fished alittle from shore with no bites for about 15 minutes before I packed up and drove home with the heat on high. There was a nice guy who was enjoying his break in the parking lot who showed up as I was getting out of the water. He helped me get my stuff out of the water. Thank you again who ever you were. Im not touching my canoe again until I save up for the canoe stabilizer ($200 @ cabelas). So heres a life leason for you..

If you use a canoe (or any boat for that matter)....having a life preserver with but not on doesnt help you. if I'd rolled the other way and cracked my head on the dock...I'd be dead.

And no I havent told my pregnant wife yet. If I do at all. She worried enough prior to being pregnant & with our daughter due on 5/1, she's even more so.

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Glad you came out of it OK. :big_smile:

I did the same once, but only in 1' of water. :roll_eyes:

Instead of buying a stabilizer, try building your own out of PVC and aluminum stock. Shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks or so. I saw the plans online somewhere once.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Glad your ok brother but sorry you had to lean that the hard way.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hate to count how many times I been in a canoe that got dumped. Most of the time it was in pure fun though. You probably would of been best off getting a small jon boat eh? :)

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a similar story, i witnessed on spring night on the river. it involved alittle alcohol though. i was anchored in when another fisheman, i must add i know him, but won't give any names to protect his intergrity.:lol: Anyways, he pulled up in his 14 ft. jon boat. stood up, and till this day I really don't understand what he was trying to accompolish. he picked up his homemade anchor (which was a 12in. concrete block) took off running, yes running, from the back of his tiny jon, never missing a stride over the middle seat when he abrupting hit the front deck tossing the block with all his momentum. needless saying the block and boat went in the direction he was throwing, and he went the other. the water was in the low 60's. he managed to get back in his boat, which i was quite impressed with considering his physical state. then came the worst of it...he stripped down to his whity tightys, throwing his clothes to the bottom of the boat out of disgust. then proceded to get his poles ready to fish. after another hour he decided to stand up, beer in one hand....his, well, you get it..in the other to take a piss and dropped his underwear to his ankles..at this point i couldn't stomach any more i had to lift anchor and relocate. fishing could have been good there that night, but the scenery was beyond what i expected it to be.:crazy:

6. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Scott
    Don't really understand how you capsized unless you set off center or maybe had the canoe tied off wrong (to close to dock). I’ve been around quite a few years now and also dumped mine last year while sitting on a lawn chair which raised the center of gravity. Fortunately in nice warm water. No excuse except for a hurting back from back surgery. Seems like maybe we can't blame the canoe. Maybe we were not being very, how do you say, thinkful, second time around maybe we will automatically do better. We have had many boats and always a canoe. Remembering back the very best times in the wife and kids memories, mine too, were in the canoe. Give some thought before parting with the canoe. Careful now and luck.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    maybe scotts center of gravity isn't exactly in the center.lol just kidding:lol:

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    well I am a bit hefty. and well I havent canoed since high school.. soo Im pretty sure I goofed up.

9. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    did you get in the middle or at one of the ends?