Laid off

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by andrew76, Feb 11, 2009.

1. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I fell for yea dave. I got layed off 2 weeks ago my self. Im tellin yea times are really crapy right now.But we'll all get threw it.

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sorry to hear Dave, I hope you find something soon. I do siding / windows myself but residential building is dead. Commercial building isn't any better. I know 7 electricians that lost their jobs last week alone. Some friends that do work for other companies aren't getting their money come Friday....thats just as bad as being unemployed.

Then , if you find work you can almost be guaranteed a lot lower pay. Contractors are bidding low to get the work and that's the worst thing to happen..... I put in 2 bids this week, even dropped the price a little.......never did get the jobs. One thing is for sure..I aint dropping my prices and work myself to death for nothing.

-Jim-

3. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm sorry to hear that brother. I live up in NW Ohio where we are very heavy automotive, actually I work in a crankshaft manufacturing facility and we are getting beat down pretty bad up here. We have 2 major plants closing in my town and we laid off 12 recently and asked everyone else to take a voluntary layoff. The Auto industry is in the can, about the only things saving us right now is the we do alot of truck and big diesel shafts and some pump shafts down in the oil patch so we are staying afloat. The only thing I think saving my job is a new help out contract we have from one of the major players in the diesel business laying too many of their employees off to keep production up.

4. 1bluedevil

1bluedevil New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Man Im sorry to hear about your layoff. It is getting very bad around here in S.C. I have a buddy that this just happened to and he has his masters in engineering. Just goes to show you that this is affecting all jobs.
    I dont know if this will help but one of my good buddies is the electrical union leader in Charlotte, N.C. and he can get licensed electricians work but its all in the Charlotte metro area. Good Luck

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    You all are in prayers. I truely hope that you all are able to hold out for better things to come.

6. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I work as a welder for John Deere in their construction division, we build excavators. We have to attend an "all employee meeting" this afternoon when I go to work. I have already talked to some of the guys off third shift and we are facing losing some of our benefits and voluntary layoffs for now. I'm sure if things don't pick up soon we will get the ax as well.

7. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Doing something & being paid NOTHING, would be a whole lot better than
    NOTHING!!!!

8. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I forgot to add that I did some volunteer chainsaw work for disaster relief after losing my job. I wish I could help others more even if I don't get paid, but yet I wouldn't wish this on no one!

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I am real sorry to hear that David and everyone else. I think this is just the begining of some hard times coming our way. I would like to think Mama Sunbird and I have job security working in the medical field but I don't feel that way. There is power in numbers and we BOC'rs have quite a crew right here in SC and across the USA. I thank God for all I have and know that this is temporary in view of the grander picture.

Now for a laugh! I say we all take over an island in the local lake and start a catfish smackin compound!! :smile2::smile2:

If the Sunbird nest can ever be of help to anyone in distress please let us know.:wink:

10. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good Luck Man. You'll Get Thru It. I had a brick crew but I finally had to lay myself off around thanksgiving.:confused2: You can hustle up some work for youself.

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the job!:smile2: Hope it works out for you!

12. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Good news David!! Did ya close on the new house also? Cause ifin ya did, well..............let's all just move in with you!!:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    Hate to hear that SC is bad off we might be catching fish to eat and fishing to sell to make a little money but u gotta do what u gotta do

14. christiansportsman

christiansportsman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    sorry to hear bout the layoffs,,it seems to be tough everywhere,,i was out of work for 3 months so i can say i know how it feels,,,i was offered my old job back at the jail and i jumped on that,,,just remember when it gets tough,,keep your faith in our lord Jesus and he will provide,,

15. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!
    The warm weather must be what the Economy needs. This week I picked up a few good brick jobs and my wife and I got some good T-Shirt printing & Sign orders in our Sign Shop this week.:smile2:

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It seems I get a call a week from a friend or relative that has been laid off and is looking for work.

Tough times out there folks. Tough tough times.

Hopefully everyone can keep their head above water until things start to turn around.

17. Holdmhook

Holdmhook New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dave
    Man I hate it for ya, you got laid off,I have been out of income for nine weeks. I am self employed, const buss. But things picked up just a little because of the same thing your doing.....ASKING....
    I have found out in the past couple of months the people or persons you would. least expect to talk your talk or walk your walk, are talking and walking, even though the economy situation is not on there side either.
    These people are caring for there people, friends, fishing partners, hunting buddies, ect. My friends or old buddies are the best and are there for me in all situations, which I am there for them also. But my brother, there is nothing wrong with asking, your for sure a good person and responsible, keep your head up, thumbs up, smile on your face, sense of humor, and most of all try your best to keep it in tune with who ever you need to keep it in tune with. financial strain is hard for all concerned when there has not been drastic financial concernin the past like there is now. I have been a very lucky man with my partner, economy has not bothered her income and she is very understanding, but there still has been some heated moments and I understand, I just throw nmy hands up in the air and say what the ..xxx.,. you want me to do, im trying. It makes you feel like crap, but all you can do is your best, keep talking, asking, let people know, they understand you have to work just like them.
    hope the closing went cool, If not there is always another time. good luck my brother. holdmhook