Lafayette

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bnorth, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone in/around Lafayette tried finding shad on the Wabash? I thought about going on a bait run this weekend, didn't know if anyone else had tried.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    havent talked to anyone over there about fish lately. i always see guys at oakdale netting them though. they toss nets off the wall next to the restaurant.:wink:

3. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info Tim, I might head that way real soon.

4. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    Hey Ben you can always get shad in the pond by williamsburg in the spring . A couple years ago I even got a few crappie in my castnet in there . I also snaged my net and had to cut it out too:confused2:

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, I've done plenty of casting in there for bait. There's so much net grabbing stuff in there that I went through 3 nets in a 3 month stretch a few seasons ago. Maybe I'll check that out tonight and see if I can land some bait, and save the trip to Oakdale for next week. Gotta be home early anyway, Boilers play UConn tonight!

6. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Your Boilers doing any good this year? I mean come on watching Purdue play or getting the smell of shad on your hands. I think I would go with the bait!!!!

7. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Come on now...we're in the sweet 16...of course we're good.

8. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    The sewer plant discharge is stuffed with shad year round. Just hold on tight in case you net a 40 lb bighead carp.

9. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Ben,

You should check the sewer discharge. Isn't that where your personal guide netted that 3 inch shad so elegantly that you used to catch a 70 lb blue from the Wabash last year? I wasn't sure but I definitely want to fishing with that guy sometime. Didn't you keep that fish? Just joking I wouldn't want to start a S@#T Storm on here. HAHA

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yeah go get some brown trout from the discharge, they are great bait! rotflmao

sorry rairdog im sure your serious, but i couldnt resist.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    hey hey, keep the wimpy sports outa here. this is a "real man" forum! do people still play sports like that? lol

12. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Ben,

Mike is working on the Wabash right now catching sturgeon for his masters project. We should meet up with him and hit the river sometime soon. He can put you on the shad right now since he is on the river almost everyday. I heard the little oxbow lake has some in there right now along with a million asian carp!!!

13. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    What does a brown trout look like river scum? I think I may have netted a few down there last year. The problem was that they are always soft and usually don't stay on the hook very long. They sure do have a strong smell tho!!!!!:smile2:

14. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I knew someone would do it. LOL

15. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Justin, anytime you guys are available and wanna hit the river, let me know. As long as it doesn't conflict with work (which is gonna get real busy here by mid April) I would definitely be in.

I might walk down to the "poop chute" this evening and try to net a few shad....better wear my boots though, I hear it gets deep down there :eek:oooh:

16. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana

Did you ever learn how to throw that net? One would think a fisheries biologist would know how to use a castnet! :tounge_out:

17. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Hey now!! Yeah I bought a new one that doesn't have as much memory in it. And not as many holes!!!!

18. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    haha good deal...

I went down to that discharge this evening and threw the net for a while and came up empty handed, nothing in the retention ponds at Williamsburg either. Maybe next time. I'm really itchin to get out on the water for sure.

19. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ben, when you get time this spring shoot me a pm, if the water is right I'll take ya out on the Bash and fish ya for a day.

20. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Alright Bear, I'll take ya up on that...probably wait till the water rises above 60-65 degrees. Thanks for the offer.