Lafayette area wabash

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by LafayetteRiverRunner, Sep 12, 2008.

1. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have been fishing the Lafayette area for yrs and have noticed a steady down fall in the fishing on the wabash has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? Ever since the asia carp arrived thing just haven't been the same. I fish area from the wildcat down just past black rock.
    I have tried all types of bait in all types of water but all I seem to get is 6 inch channels and drum (or white perch ) . Anybody else having my luck or have a idea to try cause mine just getting it. Thanks

2. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    hey Kurt , I fish the same area of the walbash . We put in at the fort and fish from there down to black rock most of the time , but I've fished from the 225 bridge at battle ground to south of Williamsport . I think the weather and the water levels the last two years has made for some rough time on the water . From the late spring and then the flooding with the river going up and down so much and so fast and then the bottom fell out in june and we haven't had enough water ! low water+bright sunshine = BIG alge bloom , its been a tough couple of years . Maybe after this weekends rains it will cool down a little bit and we can catch a few flatheads and smallmouths before the snow flies.
    hey if you see an Alumacraft jon wih a 115 suzuki on it that will be me , stop
    by and give us a holler some time !!!!!!!!!:smile2:
    vince

3. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I too fish the same area guys. And you are both right. The fishing has been slow but I agree it's probably attributed to the weather. I managed a few nice flatties last year; a couple of which over 30 lbs and this year a few in the ballpark of 15lbs. The fishing isn't horrible, but it ain't great either. Hang in there, and hopefully with this rain the river will cool off, rise, and the fishing will pick up.

The river gage forcast http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydro...&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6 is putting the river up in the range of 9 feet by Tuesday or Wednesday this coming week. It's at 1.5 feet right now. We'll see if the water change is enough. This ought to be some prime time for good fishing.

So on that note, has anyone been catching anything notable near Lafayette yet this year?

4. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    So on that note, has anyone been catching anything notable near Lafayette yet this year?[/quote]

Hopefully after this weekend I can say yes.

5. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    My buddy caught this nice sauger a couple weeks ago in Lafayette. It's been a good walleye year for him also. This tells me the river is healthy. Maybe the fish that forage strictly on minnows are doing better because of the billions of Asian Carp minnows. I'm sure they will hurt us bad in the long run.

I know the last 2 years on the White River the cats seemed to disappear after the spawn with the low water levels. I've had to move downstream to the deeper and faster water to find them.

Attached Files:

6. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes indeed it has been a tough couple of yrs on the wabash but I too hope it will turn around soon. I have also have caught walleye and sauger, not in big numbers but here and there. I have found they really like the bigger minnows . I have bought minnows and nothing ,but show them what they are use to eating (cast net) and that helps. Thanks all . Hey all if you see a sea ark jon w/ a 30 mariner tiller jet thats me .

7. foxracer1803

foxracer1803 New Member

State:
    indiana
    im also from this area but i fish manly up on the twin lakes of monticello, i do know a couple weeks ago this guy pulled out a 67 pound blue out from your area, by harrison bridge, it was in the paper front page and the local news

8. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    But hey we've got some rain now, so maybe the fishing will finish out the year well. We're supposed to get more rain next week too.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i wonder who that was? lmao

10. Flattiestalker

Flattiestalker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL!

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Aint nobody catching blues that big in that area.. Sounds Like a fishing story to me.. Heck we should get that guy on the BOC!!!!

12. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yer tellin me there's BLUE catfish? I ain't never seen no BLUE catfish. Next you're gonna be tellin me we got yella catfish too. Besides I heard that guy was too good lookin' to be on the BOC.

13. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Ya thats what Paul and the other MODs said.. I heard he Photo shopped the pics too.. LOL

14. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
  15. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    LOL... By the way.. How deep was you fishing when you caught it

16. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The hole was 12' deep. The river was 1'-2' deep, bank to bank for probably 1/2 mile upstream and not much deeper downstream from there.

17. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Wow!!! That is very intresting.... hummmm ... I know a ton of spots on the white that do that... Dont know the excact depths but it goes from 3 ft to over my head with lengths of shallow areas

18. foxracer1803

foxracer1803 New Member

State:
    indiana
    wow just realized you was on here man, my bad just getting the word out