Lafayette Area Fishing Help.

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by fcrnnngbck25, Oct 5, 2008.

1. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Well after graduating from High school, I'm going to college at Ivy Tech. I just moved from covington and haven't a clue to some good spots. I live downtown and I walked to the walkbridge that goes from Lafayette to West Lafayette. Did a bit of fishing on the West side of the bank by the bridge but only got some nibbles. Wondering if anyone could point me in a good direction. Also any tips to get some decent baitfish around here. I really do not want to buy any :cool2:. Thanks in advance.

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Paul it's hit or miss through there. Go just upstream from where you were to the Brown Street overlook (its also the USGS Gaging station). There's a decent hole right there that I've pulled a few decent flats in the 8-10 lb range from. The stretch downstream from there is all super easy access from Tapawingo Park to the pedestrian bridge. Upstream from there is the Williamsburg on the Wabash apartment complex. Through their parking lot you can access two flood control ponds that open up into the river. They are both real easy to get to, the fishing there is usually hit or miss, but I've seen everything from drum, gar, catfish, bowfin, sturgeon and everything in between pulled from them. There is some river access there also. You could also drive a little South of town on South River Rd. and fish at Fort Ouiotenon. I have never wet a line there but I know there is bank access and a boat ramp. North of town is Davis Ferry public access. The bank fishing there is pretty extensive if you are willing to walk. Don't try to drive back there if you don't have 4WD or it's wet; you'll regret it. If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM or post. I'll help where ever I can.

3. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

Thanks alot. That a boat load of information. I figured most the area's I tried were going to be trial and error anyhow. I'm going to see about trying a few of those out this week.

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Forgot to mention places for bait.

First good place is for 'gills. It's a trio of ponds in Lindburg Village in West Lafayette. Google Earth: 40*26'57.95 N, 86*58'13.57 W

Second is Lake Hadley in West Lafayette. Google Earth: 40*28'32.10 N, 86*56'47.84 W

The Lindburg Village ponds are pretty easy to get to, there's also bass in there. Lake Hadley is private property, but is open to the public. The city has a hiking trail that leads back to it. Lots of flooded timber. Has bluegill, shad, crappie, a few flatheads, and some huge bass in there. A pair of waders are helpful but not necessary to fish it.

Those are the two places I get bait, in addition to the river itself.