Ladder for boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Tool958, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've got a new boat, at least to me anyways. It's a 2003 17' V-bottom Polar Kraft. I've had it for a little over a month. Really like it. The only problem I have with it is getting in and out of it while on the boat trailer. I've had other boats, but they were either jon boats or bass boats, so they didn't have the tall sides and no problem getting in and out of them. What do you guys use on your's? Do you carry a ladder with you or have one mounted on the trailer somewhere? There's places to step on, on the fenders, but it's still a long step into the boat. Any suggestions?

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have seen steps mounted just in front of the post your winch is mounted on, on some of the taller boats. Made it easy to go right in the front of the boat. Not sure whether they were home made or bought some where but they were nicely made and very functional. Hope this helps.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mine has a couple treads welded to the rear of the "guide ons".

Could have been done better, but it beats the fender.

4. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's kind of what I had in mind to do on mine. Thought that would work better, especially if you had to load or unload by yourself. Didn't know whether or not someone had seen something like that manufactured or whether you had to make it yourself. I'm putting an angled spare tire carrier on the tongue and it is stout enough that I thought I could come off of it with some kind of step.

5. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That sounds like a good idea, also. The fenders on my trailer are plastic with flat places on top to step on. They may be ok for smaller guys, but as you can see in my avatar, they just aren't quite sturdy enough for my size.:smile2:

6. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I use to have a pontoon boat and I had the same problem. I bought a fold up metal step similar to what they have for mobile homes. I put the step next to the boat when it was parked at home so i could load/unload it and work on the boat when i had to. Think I got it at camper's world.

:cool2:

7. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've got one of them and in fact that's what I've been using. It's just kind of unhandy away from home and thought there might be something out there to mount permanantly. I've done some looking around on the Internet and haven't really found anything that will work for me. Will probably have to adapt something to my trailer to make a set of steps work.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  8. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just a little update on the steps for my boat trailer. Dug a little deeper on the net and found this. It's a little pricey, but looks like just what I needed. Will probably post a pic after I get it installed. This may just save me from a busted hind end or other body extremities. It's called a
    STEP-A-BOARD Boat Trailer Step.

Attached Files:

9. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A little up-date on the STEP-A-BOARD Boat Trailer Step I got off of
    E-Bay. Don't buy it!!!!! :angry: It took 3 1/2 weeks to get. It was packed in a toilet bowl box with very little packing. Needless to say it was scratched up bad and the finish was terrible. The mounting bracket did not fit my boat frame and had to be modified to work. Fortunately, my brother has a powder coating business and can re-finish it for me. It's a pretty good idea, but no better than a welder than I am, I think I could have done a better job. I know it would have cost a lot less money for sure. I see that the lady that was promoting and selling them on E-Bay hasn't sold but one other one since. She also jacked the price up another $50.00. Next time I'll just build something myself.

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hi Don... sorry bout your trailer step.... I have a ladder that I use at home to get into my North River boat..... When I launch by myself ..... I have to back along side of a courtesy dock.... If I can't do that I step on my spare on the tongue of the trailer, and then with much effort into the boat...

I cant use both knees to kneel down... do it is rough...

Good luck to you... and have a great Xgiving

Camping .... on the Colorado River at Blythe...

Gilmafam....Bayrunner Ray

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Mount a wedge shaped truck tool box on the tongue.
    It's a good place to store a spare set of bearings and a spare hub, along with the tools to change them.
    Also doubles as a step.

12. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Ray. Sounds like you're enjoying your retirement. Wish it was nice enough to be camping here. It's been raining most of the time when I have had a day off. Hope to cure the fishing fever next Tuesday at Kentucky Lake. Have you been doing any good? You have a great Thanksgiving also!